Post Hole Auger

Page 1 of 2
This spring I'm going to start a project in my back yard and I will need to dig about two dozen post holes. The holes will need to be about 8 inches in diameter and 18 inches deep.
I have seen ads for a manual Post Hole Auger that seems like it would be a lot easier to use than a post hole digger.
Has anyone ever used one of these augers and if so how would you rate them.
Thanks
Don

for deeper holes. They will not cut larger roots as well and will not handle rock if you run into that. They both have their uses.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

them for planting trees. I see augers on tractors, so you know any locals that can help?
You can rent a two-man powered auger from rental places.
I'm allergic too the post-hole diggers. I break out in vapors even thinking about the amount of work involved.

Are you in very good shape or do you plan to be by the time your done?
24 holes that deep sounds like a lot to me.
You could also rent a power auger.
http://www.postholeauger.com/ shows a lot of different things.
I think looking further augurs well for you.
Freckles wrote:

--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

24 holes, 8" in diameter, and 18" deep! WoW!

Unless you are both very young and very strong, you could die from doing that with a post hole digger.

20 years ago I did a project that required about 16 holes and used a gasoline powered augur. It worked great.
About 12 years ago, I had a project that called for 4 holes. It was a PITA because of rocks in the ground. If you have rocks, it doesn't matter what tool you used - it's gonna take a lot longer than you expect.
Regardless, IMO, an augur is less work and more fun than a digger unless you have one of your children doing it for you.
Dick

Just rent a gas powered auger for a day. It will be done in maybe 2 hours if no rocks are there, or dig for a week
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:18:34 -0800 (PST), ransley

There's a new (relatively) style one man powered auger that consists of an engine on a wheeled dolly. There are long handles extending from the dolly. The auger is driven hydraulically and hangs down from the handles on a pivot. You position the auger, then lower the handles to dig the hole. The weight of the dolly and engine take all the torque so it doesn't rip your arms off like the one or two man type with the engine mounted on top of the auger. I did all the holes for my garden fence (about 20 8" holes 30" deep) in about three hours and hardly broke a sweat. Would have gone faster, but I did hit a few large rocks that had to be levered out.
HTH,
Paul F.

If you are looking for an easier way to dig that many holes, you are in pathetic shape.
Find the hardest way possible to dig those holes and get to work before you find standing up a chore too.
writes:

Thanks for the advice.
However, I've always tried to follow the advice, "Work smarter, not harder."
Besides I'm 71 years old and I have no problem standing or doing physical work, but it's stupid to work harder than you have too.
So, what does that say about you?

18" not very deep if frost your area? Here we are supposed to go 36. So That means 30 inch minimum. We also have lot of rock and stones in the shallow soil (blame the ice age about 10 to 15 thousand years ago for scraping away all the 'good' topsoil apparently!) so a 'digging bar of some sort and good leather gloves are very useful. My digging bar which was found in an old quarry some 40 years ago is actually a six foot long rock drilling bit. It has a carbide tip, not very sharp, but never wears out. And anyway the old 'forges' that used to sharpen and temper such 'digging bars' as used by 'old timers' have all closed down. No horses see?
I have a very old fashioned post hole digger I got off a dump (it's like two spade ends one of which pivots) and refitted it with new oak handle (actually left over WWII stretcher poles!) some 30 years ago. Am now 75 with a slight heart condition so I take it easy, as also with shovelling snow.
But if you took your time say four holes per day (gee sounds like golf!) using a hand post hole digger could be done over week?

Only 63. Just did 9 holes 42 inches deep a few years back for a deck, and busted thru a boulder about 20 inches down last year.
Still think holes that shallow are not a big deal, but at 71, maybe you get a pass.
I'll let you know in a few years.

I'd still rent a power auger - it's easier and more efficient at any age.
Dick
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 02:47:16 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

And saves human energy. You have to have some energy left over to build the fence, or whatever.

Actually I'm putting up an 8' tall trellis all along the back of my property.
When I have all the posts put in place and the 4'x8' lattice panels attached to them, I will still need to dig another 40 larger holes for the climbing roses I intend to grow up on it.
My brother and I will be doing the work and we don't need to have it ready until spring of next year.
We could use a regular post hole digger, but we dug probably a thousand holes for fences on our dad's farm back in Kentucky when we were kids, and we have had our fill of the old style post hole diggers.
Don

Depending upon the wind where you live, you might want to consider putting diagonal 2x4 braces about a foot up on the ends.

You have learned well.
Dick

I intend to bolt three 2 x 4s to the posts, one at the very top, one near the bottom and a third about in the middle. That might be somewhat overkill, but I have seen Texas winds in action.
Since I'm in north Texas I don't have to worry too much about the cold, but you are right, the wind could destroy my work in one afternoon if it's not braced well.
Don

About 10 years ago, I had to put up a new mail box because a car had slid into it due to the ice caused by the damnyankee snow. I used PVC pipe, but filled it with Sakrete. With my son saw the rebar, he remarked about how that might be overkill. I smiled said "I like overkill."
A few years later som punk it with a baseball bat and I told the police officer to check the emergency room for broken arms. ;) And sure enough they found him. ;)
There's no such thing as overkill.
Dick
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 01:51:48 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

I tossed a lot of dirt; working Gladiolus flower and/or Potato farms.
Shovel made my arms sore, besides becoming allergic to work.

Whenever I fill out a medical form where says allergies, I write "manual labor - causes me to sweat profusely and hurts my muscles". I always fail to include that it makes the beer taste better. ;)
Dick