Post-form formica countertops with no backsplash?

I am trying to find a place that stocks and sells post-form Formica kitchen countertops that have the front edge finished, but do not have a raised backsplash. Instead, the countertop would just go straight back to the wall, and I will put up tile on the wall as a backsplash.

I want to buy two countertop pieces that will go together to form a corner countertop -- but where the corner would be, there is a chimney, so the countertop has to go around the chimney. That means that the standard post-form countertops with a built-in backsplash won't work because the backsplash won't go around the chimney.

Anyone know where I can buy what I am looking for? I am in New Jersey (Camden County).

Reply to
RonABC

Sounds like you need a saw and a router.

Reply to
HeyBub

Any counter top supply can provide what you are looking for . Here in Kitchener Ontario I'd have the choice of at least 3 manufacturere within 25 Km.

Reply to
clare

People used to laminate their own back some years ago. See if you can't find some laminate stock, contact cement, and build a nice smooth plywood counter top to put it on. You might get some unusual design possibilities with that technique. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

A bit difficult to get the moulded bull-nose or drip edge making your own - and totally un-neccessary as virtually all post-formed counter tops are custom made except for the "stock" stuff at the "borg".

Reply to
clare

Thanks. I don't want to to try to make my own, although I have seen that they do sell the laminate sheets at the big box stores. I would definitely want the front edge to be a rounded bullnose edge, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do that.

I may have to check to see if the big box stores sell low-cost custom order post-formed countertops with a bullnose but no backsplash. I was just hoping that there was a supplier somewhere that had these in stock that I could just cut to length and install.

My other option will be to buy what they have (with the backsplash) and just run it from each end up to the chimney cutout that is in the corner. Then the pre-formed backsplash will be on the back of each countertop, but there won't be a backsplash where the countertop meets the two sides of the chimney. Maybe I can then just put up some kind of tile on the walls under the cabinets -- which will go above the countertop backsplash on the back walls but all the way down to the countertop flat surface where the chimney meets the countertop.

Reply to
RonABC

Sounds like you will have to make allowances for the part that has to be cut out to accommodate the chimney, take a picture of it and the type of material u plan to use, and have a local shop( formica shop ) fabricate it for you ? The money you will save by not making the right cuts, will be the money you would have spent buying twice the material for your project...JMHO

Reply to
Sid in Sacramento

Around here (Ontario Canada) Home Despot usually has a limmited assortment in stock, but there are 3 or 4 local companies that will make up exactly what you want, to order, with a short turnaround at competetive pricing.

Reply to
clare