possum

Page 1 of 3
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch. I tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or destroy this critter? Frank

Fruit or raw fish in a Havahart trap. Fruit stinks less.
Or call your county DoAg extension office. -----
- gpsman
Frank wrote:

If I had that problem I'd probably try catching in my Hav-a-hart trap. Only time I ever encountered a possum in my yard was this time of year and he was pretty docile and I could have approached and clubbed him or shot with my bow. He did bare his teeth when I poked at him with a rake so be careful.
Use a small lunch can of tuna in the trap. Scatter some to make a trail into trap. Your possum's behavior is strange in that it does not leave garage at night assuming you leave the door open. Be careful the possum may be diseased. Rat poison pellets in the tuna might kill it eventually but that is probably illegal.
Frank wrote:

If I had that problem I'd probably try catching in my Hav-a-hart trap. Only time I ever encountered a possum in my yard was this time of year and he was pretty docile and I could have approached and clubbed him or shot with my bow. He did bare his teeth when I poked at him with a rake so be careful.

I had a pair of possums killing my chickens at night. I would find the heads in the hen house. So I listened for a fuss in the hen house at night, and went out with a flashlight and a .22, and shot them both dead, red-eyes glaring and teeth a-baring. The hens appreciated it. A neighbor said I should have eaten them, as possum makes good eats, but I'm mostly a city boy.

You mean the hens; still with heads, appreciated it?
I'm a swamp boy and won't eat a possum :))
Take two potatoes, wrap well with foil, stuff into the possum. Cover and bake @ 350F. When done, remove potatoes and throw the possum in the yard!

gunfire

During garden season, they go after my lettuce & cucumbers. Try those. If that doesn't work, call animal control. May as well get something for your tax dollars.
have you actually SEEN him often? A 22 rifle will end the game.

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:14:38 -0500, "S. Barker"

Just be sure to go buy a box of frangible (gallery) ammo so you don't have a lead poison problem (either lead dust or just a ricochet)
A shot of rimfire scatter shot "bird loads" isn't enough. Even at a range of three or four inches from the back of an opossum's head. DAMHIKT.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Frank wrote in message ...

lunch. I

he/she
or
I used a cooked turkey neck in a box trap. It's not legal where I am to relocate them, so if you're going to relocate it, I wouldn't mention it to too many people. :-)
Cheri
So, how do you think it got to YOUR neighborhood? The folks across town, they brought it to you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Reminds me of a story told on the Rick & Bubba radio show lately, when Rick had one in his garage. They called it a giant shark-rat - the body of a giant rat and the teeth of a shark. Really funny story!
KC
on 3/23/2008 2:31 PM Frank said the following:

Leave the door open a bit. If it's chewing on the garage door rubber, it's trying to get out.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Art wrote:

(snip) Chuckle. There was a similar occurrence at my sister's previous house, where she lived with her previous husband. I was visiting there one September, and we were having a late-season cookout on the deck. We noticed the 2 lab dogs and the half-dozen cats were acting hinky, and not going near their outside food bowls on the deck which sat near a doghouse with plastic picture window, that the previous owner had left behind. (way too small for the labs, and the cats were not interested.) Look through the picture window with a flashlight, and a big old coon had taken up residence there- warm, dry, and a daily food supply 3 feet away.
They quit keeping the outside bowls full, and the coon moved on after a couple of days....
-- aem sends...

Trap it, then skin it - makes great barbecuse with lots of cornbread, watermelon, and apple blossom wine.

And just what do you know about watermelon?
Frank wrote:

Opossums are the gypsies of the animal world. They hang around for a few days - maybe a week - then move on.
I'm on one opossum's circuit; he shows up about every six months. Spends a week gorging himself on the outside cat's food then he's gone.
I don't begrudge him too much - he's just trying to make a living. I'm out, oh, maybe three bucks in cat food twice a year. For me, it's a small price to pay for the novelty of seeing him munching away, almost oblivious to the world around him, while the cats wait patiently for their turn at the chow.
'Course he hasn't done any damage or attacked anything.