Possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam?

Page 1 of 2
Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for something, then store the can and use it again later? Is there some special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can be used a second time?

The can may give you instructions. It may involve turning the can upside down and flushing the tip out -- I forget.
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.
Good Luck!

salvages the tube - and using the can upright if it is normally used spout down, or upside-down if it is normally used spout up to clear it OCCASIONALLY makes the can useable a few weeks later.
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need some for cleaning crevices.
Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?
http://OakRoadSystems.com
On 12/2/2010 7:16 AM, Stan Brown wrote:

Get them at a store that carries "tobacco" water pipes and some such.
Jeff

Maybe even a craft store.
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:16:07 -0500, Stan Brown

Sometimes I see them in grocery stores that still sell tobacco products. Craft stores have them as well. Smoke shops.
And then- there is always Amazon. 3 bundles of the Zen bristly ones for $6.25- free shipping over $25. You can't buy much gas for $6.
Jim

smoke shops,tobaccos shops?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
In wrote:

I've seen them at the local Walgreens drug store, behind the checkout counter along with the cigarettes and pipe tobacco.
I wonder if craft stores might sell them, or something like them?
--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

On 12/2/2010 7:16 AM, Stan Brown wrote:

thingy somewhere around the house, preferably one with paper or soft plastic around the wire. Strip off the paper/plastic the way you would strip insulation off an electrical wire (partially closed diagonal cutters) and voila, you have a thin, flexible piece of wire. I use this trick all the time to clear out clogs in the steamer nozzle of my cappuccino maker.

Hereabouts, pipe cleaners are now mostly sold in hobby shops and "dollar stores," shelved with the plastic scissors, coloured stickers and paraphernalia for toddlers' "construction projects."
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:16:07 -0500, Stan Brown

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:16:07 -0500, Stan Brown

Pipe and tobacco shop, arts and craft stores...
For crafts there are many colors:
http://www.thefind.com/crafts/info-craft-pipe-cleaners
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:16:07 -0500, Stan Brown wrote:

Thanks to all who responded. Some of the suggestions: tobacco shops, Amazon, head shops, and (the winner) craft stores.
To the fellow who said to just use the wire from a twist tie: that would be too thin. I'm looking to get the grunge out from between faucets and spigot, for instance.
http://OakRoadSystems.com

Walmart, believe it or not. They sell them in the crafts section.
And other places: <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&biw 21&bih2&q=pipe+cleaners&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=>
--
Tegger

Home Guy wrote:

No, not usually.
They should make a half-can.
Liquid Nails comes in a "small project" tube for the times you don't need an entire caulking cartridge.

Actually they did make a half can. I believe the brand was "Great Stuff". I saw them on the shelves a year or two ago. The problem was they cost about 10 cents less than a full can. Probably why I have not seen them since. Why save 10 cents for a half can. If it was half price, I'd buy it. I always have places to use up the rest of the can. Like if I use some in the house, there are a few places in my garage where I marked to use up a part can, like around the window frames. The garage is not heated but this cuts air leaks. If I had a basement, I'd likely put some around where the wood meets the foundation. I have not found a reliable way to save the stuff for later use, so I just keep a list of places where I can use up a can.
As far as the person who said to put a pipe cleaner in the tube, I have not tried it, but I really doubt it would come out. That stuff really sticks. I know if I get it on my hands it takes several days to get it off, unless I use sand paper on it.
What I'd like to see is something like epoxy, where you mix two parts and make as much as you need. Maybe that will happen, or maybe it's not possible. For now, I guess we have a product that's pretty much a one time use, and tends to be very messy to work with too. I tend to choose caulk or silicone caulk before buying the foam if it all possible for the job.

<stuff snipped>

I've found that's the best solution. Make sure you have scoped out enough places to use up the rest of the can. I've *never* had a can that was reusable although I did have a can explode once just sitting on the shelf. Made a very respectable mess. All of the rest of the cans are each sitting inside a strong plastic bag to contain the damage if any of the remaining cans burst.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

I was working with the stuff and the valve stuck open. In disgust I tossed the whole shebang over the fence into the power company's right-of-way.
Some time later, while looking for a grave site for a dead animal, I spotted the can. The material had indeed completely leaked out creating a perfect sphere the size of a basketball!
I severed the umbilical attaching the ball to the can and carved a scary and grotesque head out of the raw material. Maybe I'll enter it in a local art contest or will it to my son.
I haven't decided.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Possible-to-only-use-part-of-a-can-of-expanding-foam-607664-.htm stockthomas wrote:
Hey Guys, I found a company that sells spare nozzle packs. They are in my local hardware store. If not yours the website is www.xtendafoam.com , I was glad to see it because I'm tired of trying to clean out the foam nozzles and throwing away half used cans of foam.
snipped-for-privacy@someplace.com wrote: