positive pressure and air filtration

I am an asthma sufferer who is allergic to pollen (big time) and possibly to dust. I am trying to convert my (small) bedroom into an "oasis" of clean air to sleep in. So far I've installed a fancy HEPA filter that recirculates air, I made the windows and the doors air- tight, and I moved all furniture/stuff out except for the bed. I checked the air with a laser particle counter, and after 15 min of the HEPA working at the highest speed the amount of ~1 micron particles in the air goes down by a facor of 10 compared to the outside air. Great.

The problem is that I don't have any ventilation in the room. And I am paranoid to leave the windows open. So I am thinking that perhaps the HEPA recirculating filter I bought was a mistake, and perhaps I should've installed some sort of a filter that takes the air from the outside, filters teh air, and blows the air in. What would be the most affordable way of doing that (under 1k?)? The room is about 12x16 feet, standard height. Wouldn't an outdoor HEPA require replacement more often than an indoor HEPA? Besides, I rent my house, so, I can't build/break walls and all that. Minimum impact preferred.

Reply to
runcyclexcski

The answer is "Moops", Bubble Boy.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hi, Do you use puffer? Do you drink milk? Do you control your diet to minimize the suffering? Do you do regular whole body cleansing to increase the allergen tolerance? Ever tried a supplement called Ivy Calm(American Ivy extract in syrup form; made in Swiss). I became a chartered Herbalist to help my son was born with a bad case of asthma. He used to carry puffer until about 10 years old, now at 23 he is normal. He plays ice hockey, saxophone. Diet played a BIG part of making him out of asthma. There are many, many good natural supplements. Nature's Way makes product called HAS, there is another one, Bronchial formula by Dr. Christopher out of Utah. Ever tried things like these?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

quoted text -

Thanks for the comment. I don't want to go in that direction. In short, yes, I know enough about drugs and nutrition. This is not an asthma group. I mentioned asthma just to explain why I need what I was asking about.

Reply to
runcyclexcski

quoted text -

Hi, Simplest thing may be wearing a mask? One more thing and I am out. I helped a guy who used puffer for 37 years. He no longer needs it. He used to carry two different puffers.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

buffalo ny: asthma and house dust allergies for 30 years, but only since age 30 [late blooming allergies]. beef allergy. lactose intolerant. don't overlook exploring dietary sensitivities, that dairy one was hard to diagnose in me for 2 years without starting over and rebuilding foods eaten: from no food day one, add rice on day two, add only one food item each day and monitor side effects. i use the sharper image type of vertical ion generator, i bought the walmart generic version of it after a friend showed me the real one and recommended it; it will surprise you with the fresh air smell when you walk into the bedroom. your concern for fresh air is valid, mine is an air conditioner in the window with a small vent in it, a

10,000btu unit with remote. it may be your actual mattress, remove it and change to plain full wave waterbed [no fabric or padding], heated to a perfect skin temperature of 90F. the temperature is critical, colder temp causes a stiff back and neck, while warmer causes sweating. [i sold waterbeds and have slept on a waterbed for 37 years. hot water wash all bedding. change bedding materials type. it may be your dog, if you can wash him then rinse the dog weekly, it will reduce dander, you may be sensitive to it and the cat too. don't be discouraged. along with daily medications the battle is won. lots of reading for you at:
just found filters with pollen counts at:
buffalobill

What is that air conditioner in the window with a small vent in it, a

10,000btu unit with remote? Does it have a filter in it?

Not sure if the heating of the bed is a good idea. Sounds like a breeding ground for the mites. But the fact that it's washable is a plus. The fact that you used to sell beds does not help :)

Reply to
runcyclexcski

You have done a lot of good things. I think you got the right filter to start with. I assure you that you have not totally sealed the room. You don't really want to do that anyway since it would mean no oxygen. :-)

How is the room heated and/or cooled?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'm not sure you'll find a through-the-window HEPA filter, but I think you could jerry-rig one easy enough. Building a small, light frame that is the same size as a filter and put it in your window and seal it up. Then put a fan on the inside to suck the air in through the filter. Then run the inside the room filter, too. Run the window filter 24/7.

There are many industrial applications of positive pressure of filtered air including clean rooms and dark rooms. By obtaining positive pressure, it will blow dust and dirt OUT of the house. When you open a door, air goes out instead of in -- so the dust and dirt doesn't come in as easily. You might want to consider putting the whole house under positive pressure. You don't need much pressure to be effective -- I'd guess nearly any pressure at all would work. The trick is to filter the air, force it in, but don't give it an exit so it (a) pressurizes and (b) goes out through the natural cracks and stuff where the air would normally be coming in.

Personally, I think you're on the right track. Filtering the air BEFORE it gets in the room is probably better than filtering it once it is in the room.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
Pat

This is what I was thinking, but I was not sure how strong of a fan I need to suck through a HEPA. After all, a HEPA may be an overkill. Also, since complete filters are so expensive I was thinking may be there is more to them than just a fan and a filter.

Reply to
runcyclexcski

I need no cooling (I am in the Bay area) and I heat it with a portable oil heater.

Reply to
runcyclexcski

I don't know. HEPA filters are everywhere, ranging from your vaccuum cleaner to the air duct of my van (hmmm. I should see if it needs changing).

If I were doing the project, I'd get one of those two-fan units that are made to go into a window (and the window closes on it for a seal). This is typical and I found it quick on froogle.

you can get them everywhere.

I think I'd buy a HEPA filter that is larger than that -- say for a furnace or some stand-up filter -- and cut it to the same size. Then build a cardboard or wood frame for it, glue/tape it all together and give it a try. For $50 to $100 you'd know if it worked or not.

Also check out things like these:

Pat

I wish I lived there. I never have any problems with my allergies when I am in that area.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan