Portable Home Generator Questions

Run monthly (or even every two weeks during high risk times) for at least an hour each time, loaded for 45 minutes.

Can you post a URL to that one?

Reply to
PeterD

I don't see giving neighbors power (with an extension cord or anything else) is a good move. I see all kinds of downsides, including if anything goes wrong, you would be on the hook, not the neighbor.

Reply to
PeterD

In 2003, when the ice storm took out much of northeast USA. My neighbors didn't seem interested in sharing power. One neighbor didn't want me to wire into her furnace. I'd been installing furnaces for three years at that point, and knew what I was doing. The other neighbor had a generator coming from the fire department (he'd been a member). He planned to use it to run electric space heater. I told him that was a poor use of resources, but he didn't seem interersted.

One family did let me run their furnace, in the house. Warmed up, nicely. They had lost the digital phone when they lost power. The next day I went back, and found they had gone to a public shelter, and I'd wasted my trip.

I'm not big on sharing power, any more.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do you have a cite for the "buried gas line below the frost line"? I don't think that is required or common practice.

Reply to
Patrick Karl

Gas station owners don't make any money off the gas even when the power is on. I've heard on more than one occasion that only a few cents per gallon goes to the store owner. Out of that they have to pay a licensing fee to the oil company, upkeep on the pumps, etc...

Why the hell should they fork out money for a generator just so the big oil company can rake in more money?

Reply to
mkirsch1

WTF are you doing that you need to run the generator for that long?

In an EMERGENCY, you don't need the air conditioner, sixteen computers, electric dryer, all the lights on. Your priorities should be preservation of the food supply, communication, and protecting the shelter. Basically, refrigerator, freezer, radio/TV, and a sump pump.

Hell you don't need anywhere near 8KW for that.

Reply to
mkirsch1

That's total crap. Run it for 5 or 10 minutes every couple months. No load needed. Turn off the gas and let it run out of gas each time. Keep a can of ether in case it's hard to start when you need it.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

So, if buy gas at a gas staiton that only sells gas and oil, doesn't have a store, and doesn't fix cars...., am I to assume that they are not making any money? Why else would they be in business?

Reply to
Jay-T

You have gas stations that only sell gas and oil? We sure don't have any of those here in NC. There is a profit margin on gas but it's generally pretty small. Store sales profit margin is 50% or higher.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

most of their money comes from the snacks and drinks. Seriously.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I have lurked on the sidelines and watched this thread progress and I must agree you don't NEED 8KW. However after experiencing several outages that stretched into the 10 day or longer periods it is certainly nice to have some creature comforts along about the 4th or fifth day. Running a generator at full load will shorten the life expectancy of the unit while running it at 50 percent load will allow the unit to operate longer with fewer repairs and use less fuel. It will also provide a cushion that allows you to be neighborly and keep others food from spoiling. By the next outage, they will probably have their own generator so they can enjoy a few creature comforts instead of merely existing. Then when yours goes down you can always walk over with a heavy duty extension cord over your shoulder and not feel guilty. Just my humble opinion from past experience.

Reply to
rmorton

=A0(possible)

I have been fine with a 4k one. I can't run the central ac's but I can run both gas furnaces and the kitchen fridge and bar minifridge. I hardwire it to the house and we use the lights, microwave, hairdryers, computers, and other appliances just as we normally would. I do tell everyone not to leave lights on and to consider the fact that we're on the generator. Yoiu can hear it crank harder when the microwave or a hair dryer is usd but most ofthe time it's no where near full load. Typically 5 gal of gas lasts the whole day. I put in a whole house fan to compensate for the loss of ac.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Well spoken Morton. My sentiments exactly. I will install the 8KW, and have the comforts that I choose. Hell, a hot water heater alone takes 5kw, so will have to balance the load when I run that once a day to warm up the water.

Also have to run a water pump, and other misc stuff in the house.

James

-------------------------

[...]

Here is the link to the trifuel generator made by Northern Industrial Tool:

James

Reply to
James

I've never seen a place that was 100% gas and oil only. Even the most basic gas station has a stand-up cooler with overpriced bottles of soda next to the cash register, and a rack of smokes.

Judging by the looks of those places, though, I would say you're making a pretty safe assumption. Dirty, run-down, old pumps, potholes in the lot... They're not making any money, or they'd make improvements.

Why do they stay in business? Sheer stupidity, possibly. Who knows? Lots of people will continue to forge ahead with a failing business long after it's clear that there's no future.

Some of the places are owned by the fuel distributors, though. I know of two here locally that have signs proclaiming that they're owned by such-and-such oil company... That's called double-dipping. Not only do they get the distributor's cut, they also get the gas station's cut.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Same here. Pumps aren't the latest gee wiz built in advertising monsters, but the gas comes from the same place.

Reply to
Robert Neville

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:30:47 -0500, "James" wrote Re Re: Portable Home Generator Questions:

That looks good. I have a 5kw (surge) and wish I had a larger unit. If I was replacing my 5kw unit I would go for at least 7kw, so I don't think 8kw surge is too large. The tri-fuel is a very nice option to have.

With the 8kw, you'll probably be running at 1/2 power most of the time, but so what? You'll use less fuel and have less wear on the unit. When you need the extra capacity you'll have it. After the fourth day without the grid you'll be glad you have the extra capacity.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

REALLY your far better off to have TWO generators a small quiet fuel conserative 1KW for nightime operations, PLUS a large 7 or 8 KW or more for interiment operations.

Probably natural gas powered, cause theres definite issues with storing a 100 gallons of gasoline or more, and new gas spoils even with stabilizer. Probably the 10% ethanol mix.. Just ask your municipality about storing so much gasoline:( and since most stations dont have generators you wouldnt be getting more easily:(

Now I have a 1000 watt inverter, for quick hook up to my vehicle. it worked great! Came home to no power:( TV and light on in 5 minutes........

Having lived thru a 3 day summer outage it was horrible. In the winter people can die.

I believe in having enough power to help some neighbors!!

Reply to
hallerb

I'm also curious for the cite. Where I am, (NY State, USA) we often have gas lines exposed outside buildings.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What he said.

One station in Clyde, NY. Was in the small town fishwrapper, years ago. The tanks needed to be repaired some how. The owner just quit selling gas, and focussed on quick food, beer, lottery tickets, etc. Other gas stations picked up the slack

Reply to
Stormin Mormon