Portable Generator once more..

Page 1 of 3
A couple months ago.. during debate on portable power generators, one poster stated if I remeber correctly that majority of portable generators produced modified sine wave power, compairable to quality of power from cheap inverter ( bad for sensitive electronics)
1. Is this true? IIRC it was one poster who was stating this..
2. If this is true.. what do you look for when buying a generator that delivers "quality" power that won't fry electronics? I have not seen any stickers on units for sale that say they're modified sine wave.. Thanks (tropical storm/ hurricane season is here!)
Chuck Mu2
You have it all wrong. Generators produce a real sine wave. However... Inexpensive generators are usually not voltage regulated. There are two consequences of this; they can wildly fluctuate voltage as the load changes, and they are usually very noisy (both is waveform and sound.) Either one can damage sensitive devices. Six years ago we had a major wind storm that left a few hundred thousand people without power for up to a week. I know of 5 furnaces that were burnt out by unregulated generators, but there were thousands of unregulated generators powering furnaces. So your odds are good, but the price for being one of the losers is pretty high. Do you feel lucky? Personally I prefer a good generator; they are safer, quieter, and generally use less gas. Those are all good things that justify their price.
Opps I think I may have done a reply by email..
Ok,, do any openly state if they have closely regulated voltage?
Thanks.. Chuck

Most anything under 700 is unregulated, you have to research and ask about allot of things , what brand are you looking at.

If they have voltage regulation (or possibly automatic voltage regulation) they will feature it in their advertising copy, as it is an important and expensive feature. If they don't mention it, they don't have it. Sadly, it will probably cost twice as much as an unregulated genny, but you get other good features as well; such as low noise, etc. If price is a problem, you might get lucky with a used one. Last year I bought a small used regulated Kawasaki with only 20 hours on it for $350; it was about $1,000 new, but apparently the market for used Kawasakis is not good. (Or you might get one with 1000 hours without an oil change; you have to be careful.)
One thing not to do is let the gen run out of gas connected to anything with Capacitors, they easilt fry. Motors, electronics etc.

You might be able to get a deal on new ones, too. Around here in Upstate NY, Home Depot has been selling the Generac 7550EXL for about $1K. Seems to be a decent generator - voltage regulated, has an idle setting that substantially reduces noise, electric start, pressured oiling, etc. Only other thing I'd wish for is an oil filter.
- Rich
The Generac EXL line all have oil filters. EXL is Electric start Extended Life. The 4000EXL the 7500 EXL and the one you mentioned 7550 EXL, They also come with an extra oil filter , Battery and float charger and cover. I have a 7500 EXL from Lowes which often has a Transfer Panel kit giveaway. The models on EXL are similar but Generac badges each stores unit as unique so they dont have to expose the store to price wars. So ineffect HD and Lowes carry the same unit plus or minus a few features but HD will not match a price at Lowes saying it is a different model when in actuality it is but say a 50 watt higher rating and different color and extra extension cord, or other giveaway. The 700$ 4000 EXL is nice as is the 7500 EXL which I paid 1250 but got allot of freebees, Air - Oil filters, plugs, Oil, Charger, and a completly wired transfer panel , Wire- cable, Plugs , and ccver. Generac makes their own steel sleeve, pressurised , oil filtered , electric start motor and is owned by Briggs & Stratton. Remember to run it with a mild load of 220 in no longer than 6 mo intervals or the Gen Head can loose residual field magnitism and need complicated " Flashing " to Re -magnitise the Gen Head magnetic field.

Bzzzt. Sorry, but your advice is as inaccurate as usual. I have a 7550EXL currently sitting in my garage, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the engine does not have an oil filter, and neither does it come with a cover.
Got any more uninformed statements to make?
- Rich
USER . You either dont have an EXL , got screwed, or dont know how to look at a motor , or dont know what an oil filter is.
EXL models have oil filters, you stupid Bozo.
As I said " Extras " define store model differences, a cover is an " extra "

Really? I wonder why the model plate has "7550EXL" on it then.

Really? I wonder why the engine manual mentions specifically that it doesn't have an oil filter.

No, you said it came with a cover. And yet it doesn't.
m Ransley wrote:

This exchange reminded me of yet another thing Uncle Schlomo told me...
"If someone comes up to you with a deck of playing cards and offers to bet you $20 that he can make the Jack of Spades rise up out of the deck and spit prune juice in your eye" - - - - "Don't bet him, you'll be $20 poorer with an eye full of prune juice."
I'm definitely not taking sides, but I can't wait to see the outcome...
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I'm with you Jeff. This will probably resolve itself with something along the lines of; "The older model XYZ123 HAS an oil filter. However the new model (which has a different design of engine?), also labelled XYZ123 does NOT HAVE a ....... etc. etc. ". But is it not worrying when people jump so quickly to fixed conclusions? It's rather like saying "Some posters to this news group don't know to properly discuss, debate accept or refute information. Therefore all posters to this news group aware incapable of doing so! Stay tuned; we may learn something. Cheers.
Terry wrote:

Another thing Uncle Schlomo taught me was that when you persist in arguing with someone who's convinced he knows everything ..... you are a proving yourself to be a bigger fool than he is.
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in
Jeff Wisnia Wrote:

I have the 7550 exl...There is an oil filter.(Yes an oi filter)...panel...lots of cords and much more...Id like to hear som ideas on quietness for this model, esp for camping scenarios.. Thinking about a sound solution car muffler and a insulated - vente quiet box.....Biggest downfall is weight and traversability.
Billy_Gunn
2000 F350) SD 7.3 PS Turbo Dually 2002 Montana Triple slide 34' All Alum Fr. Fith Wheel Generac 7550 EXL from H
-- Billy_Gunn
USER you the looser
Generac model 1470 at HD the 7550 comes with an oil filter, go check the Generac site Bozo, Are you so stupid you cant see it in plain view, or to fat to bend over and look. You better learn to use your equipment USER-Looser. Mr A

Check out the manual, which is also online. Notice anything about the oil filter?
My info wrong ? Go check it out USER Looser

You mean the one that I have in my garage, as opposed to the one you don't have?
I'm rather curious about what you'd have to say if I posted photos of each side of the engine, and have you try to point out where you think the oil filter is. And then see if you even bother to respond, when you can't find it. :-)
- Rich
Post your photos