Portable DVD Player

If this is the wrong group, please suggest an appropriate one.

I got a portable DVD player as a gift and the instructions are terrible. It comes with three cables. One is red, yellow, and white. The second one is red, green, and blue. The third is for S-video and has pins.

The TV is not brand new or high tech, but it does contain jacks for all three of those cables.

Which cable do I use to play back typical DVD movies? Thanks, Mary

Reply to
Mary

If your TV has S-Video inputs use that one.

Reply to
badgolferman

Use the red, white & yellow bundle. Red & white are for the audio and yellow is for the video signal. I have no idea what the bundle with the blue plug is for. Your instruction manual will tell you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Rethinking the colors you mentioned, the red-green-blue might be better. Try them all and see which you prefer. The other jacks will probably work for other devices you may want to hook up to the TV.

Reply to
badgolferman

If I am not mistaken, the Red/Green/Blue cable is for "Component Video" and should give the best picture. You will still need to connect the White and Red for the sound.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

badgolferman

Just out of curiousity, who makes this DVD player?

Reply to
Mikepier

White and Red are audio. Yellow Video. Don't forget to switch the antenna input on the TV to play the DVD. (You should have some switch on the remote or the TV that says "TV\\Video" or "A\\B")

Reply to
jerryl

These cables allow you to connect the player to a TV. Where you connect the S0-video cable should be obvious. The others connect to jacks having the same color insulation.

Of the white/red/yellow cable set:

White is left channel audio. Red is right channel audio. Yellow is standard (NTSC) video.

S-video gives a slightly better picture (some times), but probably isn't worth it.

The red/blue/green cable set is used for component video (YUV, YPbPr, YCbCr). This gives a much better picture if your TV supports it.

Your DVD player may also have digital audio outputs (optical and/or coaxial [with orange center]).

For your TV, you'd be connecting 5 cables: the red/green/blue cable set for video, and the white/red for audio. Note that some TVs will have 2 sets of audio jacks (one associated with each video input). You'd need to check the TV manual or just try both (you won't hurt anything).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Mark hit it best.

Red & White are for right & left audio yellow -or- S-Video -or- R&G&B are for video (pick whichever works best)

Reply to
RayV

This is the correct answer.

Reply to