porch swing: bring in for the winter?

I have a porch swing for the first time in my life. Are they supposed to be brought inside during the winter (northeast US)?

Reply to
nosredna

I'm guessing you have a wooden swing. Depends if you want to bring it in. Some do, but a lot of people who have better things to do with their time leave it hanging but wrap it in plastic sheeting from the hardware store to keep the moisture from the winter rain and snow off it. It's moisture -- not temperature -- that leads wood to a premature death, generally speaking.

If there are seat cushions on the swing, bring those in, tho. Nobody's

*that* lazy ;)

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

At most, put the cushions in the garage, leave the swing on the porch, if it is a covered porch.

Reply to
Roger

Funny, my wife just commented on this today. She says she'd had a swing when growing up that the never did anything with in the winter. Her comment was spurred by seeing where several people in the neighborhood had pulled their swings up to the porch ceiling to help keep them out of the elements.

We on the other hand have a rope swing from Hatteras Hammocks that is out on a swing frame in the back yard. We keep it covered when not in use and put away in the winter.

Reply to
mwlogs