Porch building, rebuilding

Hi everyone...,

I have a situation where I need to redo the flooring on my porch. It is covered by an overhang and held up by cast iron channel. I will need to support this overhang somehow and remove the supports while supporting the roof/overhang in order to get to the bad lumber underneath.

What sort of methods or suggestions would you guys have for doing this? ALSO, what type lumber is typical in porch flooring? Treated or not? I've never taken on any sort of project like this but am pretty handy, so any other do and don't would be appreciated!

Thanks for listening and for anything you can help with!,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Assuming floor frame is in good condition, double 2x4 with 2x4 "T" top & bottom can support roof. The Deck can be replaced in sections.

You'll get lots of recommendations for flooring. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Assuming floor frame is in good condition, double 2x4 with 2x4 "T" top & bottom can support roof. The Deck can be replaced in sections.

You'll get lots of recommendations for flooring. TB

Reply to
tbasc

A picture is worth a thousand words--- several pictures here;

Way down-- [search page for "driving around town "] is the way I did mine.

Million dollar question. I ripped my deck off last year. [as part of a basement project] The decking that had lasted 50 years and was in pretty good shape considering it was probably only painted twice was 3"tongue and groove fir. I doubt I could find the same quality fir these days in NY.

Since early spring I've been going back and forth between pressure treated, Trex or one of the plastic 'woods', Ipe, and a mahogany that the local yard sells for about what the Trex and Ipe go for.

The high priced homes in my locale [upstate NY] are using cedar, but it seems to me that is real soft for a deck.

My latest leaning is towards the mahogany. It is tougher than cedar, better looking than pressure treated or any of the plastic ones I've seen, and it's a bit easier to work with than Ipe.

I'm only doing about 100 square feet, so my labor is a much bigger part of the job than whether I spend $300 or $500 of a $3000 job.[the whole porch]

I want something that will need little to no maintainance. My porch is on the east side of the house so the weather isn't too bad for it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Pressure treated is a must. If you don't it will rot a lot faster. Yo can pressure treat it yourself, but I suggest buying it alread treated. Also if it's a little wet I would let it dry a bit befor installing because of shrinkage in the wood. Pick up a small can o it and apply it to the ends that are cut off

Reply to
tsunamisam

Good stuff Jim, I appreciate it!! With that site you posted, I feel pretty confident that I can tackle this. I will most likely call my carpenter buddy to come on board occasionally and give me a hand as well to double check the work. The illustrated pictures are a bit different then my situation, but good enough I think I can make it work, but very good site.

Regards, and thanx for the input from all of you!!

Doug

Reply to
Doug