Popped-out nails in ceiling -- how to repair?

By mistake I stepped on the attic floor while working in the attic. Now several nails have popped out from the ceiling drywall. Could somebody tell me what's the right way to repair it?
I thought about hammering them back in and spackling over them, but I'm not sure if new/extra nails are neeeded. Does anyone know if ceiling drywalls are normally screwed directly to the joists or if there are woodboards between them? (I guess I could get into the attic again to find out but it's pain to get in there.)
Thanks!
i would haul out the nails and put a drywall screw in close to the nail spot. plaster. i have seen drywall screwed directly to joists and strapping.
All Thumbs wrote:

Use screws and pull the nails if you can. If not, just pound them back in - won't make a huge difference as the rest of the house is obviously nailed.

Drywall is installed to the framing. If you want to walk in the attic, put down plywood on top of the joists.
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:08:09 GMT, All Thumbs

Hammer them back in, apply some additional nails or screws, and spackle them. (DO NOT go in the attic again, unless you are completely sober :) Then take some 16 inch wide (or wider) pieces of at least 5/8" thick plywood up there for walking on. The 1.5" edges of 2x6's are NOT wide enough to walk on. You sound like an accident waiting to happen).....
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 02:28:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Hmmm... I never go into my attic sober. I hate attics.
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:08:09 GMT, All Thumbs

OK, I'll be honest and fess up.........
When I was about 20 years old, I went into the attic of the duplex where I was living. I lived downstairs and there were other tenants in the upper apartment. I was rather intoxicated when I decided to go into the attic and hunt for "treasures". There were no walk boards. I tried to walk on the narrow edges of the 2x4's. Yep, that's when I slipped..... Not only did I puncture the plaster ceiling (old lath and plaster), I fell thru, landing on top of the upper tenants console tv set. The tenants were laying on the couch naked, in the middle of having sex, about 5 feet from where I fell, and they were all covered with plaster and pieces of laths. They were not at all pleased when I (literally) "Dropped In" for a visit. and were even more pissed when their tv was all busted up (but still working). I was not too happy either, since I got all cut up on the trip thru the ceiling. The landlord was even more angered, He just mumbled and nailed a piece of plywood over the hole, and painted it. (I think he was laughing too, but would not admit it, since I told him the truth of my mishap).
However, this later became the house joke and as long as both of us tenants lived in that house there were constant jokes and remarks about that event.
35 years later, it's still kind of funny !!!!
OK, I fessed up !!!! <LOL>
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Wow, what a story! Thanks for sharing.
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:33:42 GMT, All Thumbs

You're welcome. This thread got me remembering this crazy adventure, and I had to share. It's one of those things I will never forget, and while it was not too funny at that time, I really do find it rather funny now. I will never forget the look on those people's faces when I just "dropped in". Totally ruined their sex for that night !!!
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

And yours. "Oh, I was just up in the attic treasuring hunting, and...what's this?! A small hole looking down on the neighbors bedroom!" ;)