POPCORN CEILING REPAIR

I had a spot on a textured ceiling that needed repair so to texture the patch I sprayed a liitle paint on it to act as an adhesive then literally placed crushed popcorn on it. Sprayed some more paint on it to seal it up and it looks great.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

With your kind of luck you should buy more lottery tickets .

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Using foodstuffs? Uhh... I hope it doesn't start growing something. Was there no crushed foam pellets or kitty litter available to smash into a skimcoat?

Reply to
mike

Isn't that stuff awful!

Reply to
Dymphna

Yes it is....Patching it is nearly impossible...It will ALWAYS show....

What happens when the popcorn decays..I'm sure the grease helped too...Give it a few weeks and THEN tell us how it worked out.....They do sell the right stuff ya know....LOL...Sometimes I really wonder......................

Reply to
benick

I think that the popcorn or perhaps more properly sprayed acoustical texture was an idea that was not too good. When I need to deal with one of these buggers, first I will poke it a bit with my finger to see if the stuff is hard or if it will come off easily.

If hard I just roll paint over it, if soft I use a floor scraper and remove it.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I've seen a lot of repairs that just didn't make the grade on that stuff. On our first house, we had some water damage to such a ceiling and instead of trying to match it up, simply took down all the popcorn (steam brings it down quite easily) and re-did the entire ceiling with a paint/sand mix.

-- Rik

Reply to
Rik Brown

Wel lthe popcorn is the kind they use for packing sometimes( yes real popcorn) its been sitting in a box for two years so I figure it is not going to mold.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

The only real cure for popcorn ceilings is removal.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ive done that too but that was more than I could handle right now. If my little patch last a year I will be happy but I think its going to hang in there. It felt pretty solid after the paint dried.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I had it in the house we used to have. They do sell patch kits for them. But you can't do a thing with them - cleaning it is almost impossible. I have known a few people to paint them, but it really soaks up the paint!

Reply to
Dymphna

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

True. I've done that one.

But also want to mention this previous post of mine. Repairs often only noticed by me or if it's pointed out to someone.

Subject: Re: Popcorn ceiling Newsgroups: PeoplePC:alt.home.repair To: in2dadark

in2dadark wrote in news:25aefee7-6fd0-455b-96d8- snipped-for-privacy@k18g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

The sprays are expensive and a real crapshoot. I found the product below at the Blue Borg. It works quite well if you ask me considering the low rate of success most have fixing popcorn. Premixed. The popcorn itself is actually polystyrene chips. Matching is just a matter of how good you get at doing it. Dab on with a cheap paint brush. Don't like what you're getting just wipe it off with wet rag. Let it dry and paint with ceiling paint. Paid 5 bucks for a qt. Goes a long way. Wish I found it long ago actually.

Red Green

True but it's still just a bandaid that sticks out like a sore thumb on a crappy cheap looking cheesey 80's condo ceiling covering up a bad drywall job and EVERYONE seeing it will think that....IMHO.....A little more effort and the problem goes away and you have a good looking ceiling....Flat and smooth so you can touch up or patch and re-paint at will....JMHO...

Reply to
benick

I tried another spot useing some packing peanuts run through a food processor instead of real popcorn. That works too, a heck of a lot better that any kit I have ever tried.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

It looks even worse in a 1948 house with a cove ceiling. And then glitter sprayed on top.

I should say "looked", because I scraped that crap off the first year I was in the house. I'm grateful that the previous owner was a lazy bastard. He never painted the popcorn, and it was a breeze to wet down and scrape off. It revealed the original skim coat of plaster, which had a few cracks in it and still looked better than that glittered popcorn.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

It looks even worse in a 1948 house with a cove ceiling. And then glitter sprayed on top.

I should say "looked", because I scraped that crap off the first year I was in the house. I'm grateful that the previous owner was a lazy bastard. He never painted the popcorn, and it was a breeze to wet down and scrape off. It revealed the original skim coat of plaster, which had a few cracks in it and still looked better than that glittered popcorn.

Cindy Hamilton

Un-painted is pretty easy..LOL...Most aren't that lucky though..I'm doing a complete reno now that had popcorn ceilings painted MANY times....The home owner asked if it could be patched (old speaker holes , different cabinet layout , ect.) and I told him I wouldn't touch it because it would never look right and I'm not coming back a dozen times for free to try to make it better cuz it never will...I gave him 2 options...1) Pay me 25 bucks an hour to scrape it down , patch it and skimcoat it , or 2) hang 1/4 sheetrock over the whole mess..He chose to hang the 1/4 inch rock and do it himself to save money....I provided the how to advice for free...I will be taping it as well as skimming the old walls....Everyone is happy..He gets a new ceiling and stays on budget and I GOT THE JOB....

Reply to
benick

The other thing that people forget is that often times, the popcorn texture has asbestos in it. You don't just scrape it off, willy- nilly.

Painting is often done just to seal the asbestos in.

Reply to
mike

"benick" wrote in news:Nd6dnYf-OsSp9g7XnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@neonova.net:

Don't disagree with you on that. What I pointed out is just something that works best for me in some places where it's a SMALL eyesore into acceptable for the case/person.

As mentioned, I've been down the scrape and redo road as well. It was the only acceptable route in that case.

Reply to
Red Green

mike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f18g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Awwww, a little grit never hurt anybody :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Painting is often done just to seal the asbestos in.

No willy-nilly, go backy-forthy

Keep it damp and the asbestos (pre 1978) won't bother you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski