Popcorn Ceiling Removal Question

I have a popcorn ceiling in my house. I am assuming it has asbestos. I have the safety issues worked out. I am just trying to remove it.
My problem is the removal process. The popcorn material has been encapsulated with one or more layers of paint. I have tried to use water and water with soap to wet the ceiling. But it isn't working. It is not getting through the paint layer. I am looking at scraping the lower layers that are dry.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get through the paint? I have thought about a paint stripper but reading the labels, it looks like the fumes are pretty toxic and require ventilation. My rooms are taped pretty well to prevent ventilation.
I am stuck and could use some advice. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Thanks,
Robert
On 14 Nov 2004 00:56:31 -0800 "Robert" used 20 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,230 for popcorn ceiling group:alt.home.repair http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=popcorn%20ceiling&safe=images&as_ugroup=alt.home.repair&lr=&hl=en
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
It is not asbestos, but drywall may be just as cheap
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 04:22:39 -0600 "m Ransley" used 2 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Why are you telling me that?
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
... replace the ceiling drywall.
C.

Why? It takes far less time and costs about nothing to scrape off the popcorn.
If it is painted you need remover, then you still have to skimcoat, sand. Also your taping could be damaged. People texture to hide damage

My wife and I have removed about 1800 square feet of popcorn. No taping, no skim coat, no removers. Just water with a couple of drops of detergent, scrapers and sponges.
You are lucky Ed, if it has been painted it is a different story, a real big job having paint stripper over your head and eyes. the OP ceilings are painted, it will not just scrape off if painted.