Popcorn ceiling question

Our living room ceiling has popcorn texturing that has tested 5% asbestos. We are aware of the wetting and scraping method of removal, but we are still apprehensive about disturbing it and possibly tracking it though out the house. Professional abatement services in our area are very high priced for us right now. I was wondering if covering the ceiling with thin dry wall (like 1/4 inch)and mudding and taping is a good alternative to removing the texture. Has anyone done this themselves or hired a pro and had a good result? I'm thinking that it might be difficult to maintain a flat even surface due to the inconsistency of the texturing. Thanks for any or experiences or insights.

Steve

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Steve S.

I haven't, but I've seen a house where they tried to do a knock down over popcorn, and it looked terrible.

We did have a very heavy texturized wall (not popcorn, but more like stucco), and paid somebody to float over it, and it looks really good. But I'm not sure how it would look over popcorn.

Reply to
JK

If it was painted it may not scrape well even wetted without making dust , even if it does repairs will be necessary and sanding dust. But repairs with compound will be a mess. If you have fear, which is really nothing wetted , then drywall.

Reply to
m Ransley

We recently removed about 600 sf of popcorn. It is done by wetting slightly, then scraping. Asbestos fibers are nastiest when airborne. Wetting would help keep them from flying. A good respirator would be advisable, too.

Mudding over the popcorn would be the worst thing. You would be adding a lot of weight, and just asking it to fall off in clumps.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It won't work well and may not stick to the popcorn very well. We scraped ours. Most comes off with an simple scrape and a wet sponge. Just my opinion, the asbestos in that form is not going to be harmful as there is not dust to breath in when dampened.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
.

You'll need 1/2" drywall to avoid that inconsistency you speak of. It works fine otherwise. You can get 4 1/2' by 12' sheets of drywall to minimize the number of joints that have to be mudded up.

Crown molding in the corner covers up the wall/ceiling joint, so you don't have to mud that corner.

You'll want to be careful not to create a bigger problem with the taping and mudding up of the ceiling, that is a lot of work.

Reply to
John Hines

Is there a real issue w/ the existing surface? Unless it's flaking or otherwise being disturbed, the captured asbestos is unlikely to be an issue.

Only as an airborne contaminant is asbestos a real problem.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I think I would be inclined to either use plaster (applied by pros), or cover over with 3/8 drywall. bill a

Reply to
bill a

Reply to
Steve S.

Some people hate the look.

Reply to
Alan

OK, just wanted to clarify it wasn't a case of paranoia re: the asbestos driving the decision.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I would just cover it with another layer of drywall as stated above. That would give it the least distubance and seal it. I would note that anyone you would sell to should know about it though.

Reply to
borgunit