Popcorn ceiling

I wanted to ask a quick question. When I took the popcorn ceiling covering off of one the rooms on my second floor, I noticed basically that the ceiling was the same drywall as the ceiling of the first floor.
Is the popcorn ceiling a form of insulation for the second floor and that is why they only placed it there and not the first floor?
If so, is there a problem from me removing the ceiling (popcorn) and painting over?
Gene
Popcorn ceilings are for decoration only and slightly decrease sound bouncing. The amount of insulation afforded by the popcorn wouldn't be calculable. No, there is no problem.
Gene Moon wrote:

Great, thanks.
Gene

covering
that is

Hi Gene!
GM> I wanted to ask a quick question. When I took the popcorn ceiling covering GM> off of one the rooms on my second floor, I noticed basically that the GM> ceiling was the same drywall as the ceiling of the first floor. GM> GM> Is the popcorn ceiling a form of insulation for the second floor and that iGM> why they only placed it there and not the first floor? GM> GM> If so, is there a problem from me removing the ceiling (popcorn) and GM> painting over?
We had a popcorn ceiling in dining room here. Essentially it's just a layer of drywall mud with sand added and sprayed on. I suppose the added layer of mud would provide a miniscule degree of thermal insulation -- R 0.001? <g> Also the rough ceiling surface would add a degree of acoustic absorption. Draperies, carpeting and normal room furnishings add more.
The popcorn ceiling was probably done only because it looked good. Feel confident in removing it and making your own decorative statement.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* "A great man is always willing to be little." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:32:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@rime.org (barry martin) wrote:

D > >The popcorn ceiling was probably done only because it looked good. D > >Feel confident in removing it and making your own decorative D > >statement. D > Unless it has asbestos content, in which case take more care in D > removing, bagging, and disposing of it properly.
True - forgot about that little detail. Thanks for posting the reminder.
Any idea how to detect asbestos in a popcorn ceiling?
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Must-read books: "I Hate Monday Mornings" by Gaettan Oop
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971

If after 1977, it is not allowed. Before that, I have no idea except a professional test.
barry martin wrote:

Sure. Take a sample and send it to your state department of enviromental quality or whatever agency monitors hazardous materials.