Popcorn

Page 1 of 3

Did you ever cook a bag of popcorn in the microwave too long? HOLY SMOKE! I saw smoke pouring out of the microwave filling up the house with a toxic burning smoke. That's dangerous stuff. Funny thing the smoke alarm did NOT go off. It does go off if you burn a piece of toast in the toaster with hardly any smoke at all. Must be a different kind of smoke.
--
If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either.

LSMFT wrote:

No more popcorn for you until after you've had your morning coffee!

They've discovered the chemical, diacetyl, used in the oil/butter stuff is dangerous to one's health. Popcorn plants had to be modified to protect workers.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib092107.html
Burning it in the microwave should be a crime. I've seen the stink spread thoughout a 10,000 sq ft building in minutes after being picked up by the ventilation system. Takes all day to get rid of.
It's bad mojo all around, but we're too lazy to give up the convenience and go back to air poppers and popping in oil.
nb
On 5/8/2010 11:04 AM, notbob wrote:

Nothing to do with lazy, folks are told what to buy but we just have to use common sense instead. I bought an inexpensive microwave popper bowl probably five years ago. You simply add some popcorn, close the door and press start. No more complicated than unwrapping that industrial crap and three minutes later you have a bowl of popcorn without a chemical factory explosion smell permeating the house (and less expensive too).

Its not smoke from burning, its a chemical smoke, do your lungs give you trouble? Do a Google for Popcorn Lung, and Health Dangers of Microwave Popcorn , I bet you just nuked your last bag of your smoky stuff, get an air popper or a brand thats safe.
ransley wrote:

It was a gagging smoke, I couldn't not breath a bit of it, it choked me. It also left yellow stains in the microwave that won't wash off even with bleach. It bonded with the plastic. I have an idea this toxic product should be banned. It was only a minute over the 2 minute normal pop time. I'm all done with this crap. If I die, I'll sue them.
--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........
LSMFT wrote:

Sounds like the ersatz 'butter' they dope the micro popcorn with, to get it all to pop quickly and minimize the unpopped kernals. You ever look at the jug of Yellow Stuff they use in a commercial popcorn machine? It has nothing to do with butter. Or maybe it was the stuff they coat the inside bottom of the bag with, so it acts like the bottom of a popcorn popper to get the kernals hot quicker.
I've given up on popcorn. It ain't worth the trouble or the expense. Dry popcorn is like eating styrofoam, and at a movie theater, they always salt the hell out of it. I have an air popper here somewhere- haven't used it in twenty years. I live alone, and popcorn should be a shared experience. And I don't keep butter- fake or real- in the house, since I can't use it up before it goes bad, and I don't need the calories.
--
aem sends...

Popcorn at the movie theater? You must be one of those rich guys Obama is always talking about.

I go to maybe 2-3 movies a year, almost always a cheap matinee. It is not a big expense for me. I usually sneak in a bag of M&Ms or something. If I was buying for a carload of bottomless-pit rug-rats, 2-3 times a month, I would indeed be crying. Why does the theater industry think VHS/DVD movies sucked up so much of their business, even with an inferior viewing experience? It wasn't just the expensive tickets to get in- it was the total cost of the time in the building.
--
aem sends...

I was referring to the cost of the popcorn. Movies are cheap, their food is anything but. Nice margin; no cost and outrageous price.
On 5/8/2010 7:16 PM, aemeijers wrote:

You are blaming the wrong folks. If it wasn't for the concession sales they wouldn't be able to keep the lights on. The lions share by far of your ticket price goes to the movie studios.
George wrote:

Yeah, I know, but from the viewpoint of the consumer, they are the same thing, just as the car dealer and the car company are the same thing. They both suffer for either's sins. The theater owners (and aren't a lot of the big chains owned by the same parent companies as the studios?) need to start throwing their weight around. Rentals/DVD sales/Cable TV can't pay the freight for 'real' new movies- the studios NEED the theaters, to build buzz if nothing else. If they don't get their act together and start cooperating, it will become like pro sports, which only rich people can now afford to attend in person. Perhaps both need the same cure- quit paying the 'talent' so damn much, and start using cheap unknowns if needed, to get the ticket prices down. You can only squeeze so many golden eggs out of the goose. I won't pay over 10 bucks to see a movie. I'll wait six months and rent it, instead.
--
aem sends...

In the case of a car dealer and car manufacturer they are the same...
The dealership is a FRONT for the car manufacturer, can only sell the vehicles made by that particular car manufacturer on that one lot... The dealerships often use manufacturer's financing to borrow money to be able to purchase the cars that they sell on their lot...
So without the continued support and financial arrangement between car manufacturer and car dealership the dealerships would cease to exist if they were ever "dropped" by the car manufacturer...
Look at how many dealerships closed their doors for good when the GM and Chrysler "downsized" and reorganized... There was no market from any other car manufacturer at the time for those dropped dealerships so they are either now out of business or have downgraded their market share to exclusively selling used vehicles with no restrictions unlike what they were bound by under the terms of their contract with the car manufacturer...
A movie theater is entirely different...
An individual theater owner or a large chain decided which titles they want to show based on the costs of obtaining the films to show AND the contractual restrictions the studio wishes to impose on the theater...
How many car dealers have you ever seen NOT stocking or selling a specific model car of the manufacturer they are in business with...
Showing movies in a theater is a lot like you as a consumer deciding to rent a movie at blockbuster only on a scale where the selections will either result in million dollar profits at all levels OR be a huge flop...
~~ Evan

Sure, but perhaps the studios need a message. There is only one way for the consumer to send it.

LOL... So you are blaming the manufacturer of a food product because of the mess that resulted when you overcooked the product by 50% of its intended cooking time and EPICALLY FAILED to follow the directions for preparing the product found on the box label and package itself ???
NOWHERE will you find a package of microwave popcorn that says: "walk away and leave it cooking unattended"... Since the size and power level of microwaves in which the product will be prepared vary widely and that 2 minute RECOMMENDED cook time is based on the use of an 1,100 watt microwave oven at sea level was used to determine what an "average" cooking time should be...
You also should never use the "popcorn" button on your microwave to prepare microwave popcorn...
Suing someone for your idiocy is absurd and you will never make it past the motions stage of the process...
Be more careful next time and monitor what you are cooking in your microwave oven...
Leaving food cooking unattended (which means not being there right near the food in question to monitor the cooking process) is only ASKING for a kitchen fire...
~~ Evan

And yet, the woman who spilled hot coffee on her crotch, after removing the lid while driving the car, sued Micky D's. Successfully.

Yes... That was because there was no valid reason for McDonald's to serve the coffee that hot (literally just a few degrees shy of 212F which is BOILING water) out of cups which could result in a spill even when they were used and handled properly... Poor choices made by McDonald's to keep the coffee VERY hot to reduce waste and save a few bucks resulted in providing customers with a very hazardous beverage until it cooled down quite a bit... That is why they ended up paying damages in that famous case...
If you actually READ deeper about that McDonald's case beyond what made it into the poorly written news articles which only focused on her injuries AND the fact that she won, you would learn that the amount awarded to her by the jury was in fact reduced by a percentage to reflect her poorly made decision to put the coffee cup between her legs rather than take an extra second to place them in one of the cup holders in the car...
The McDonald's hot coffee case is a poor comparison to someone failing to read and understand the cooking instructions on a package of microwave popcorn... Said popcorn is not dangerous and doesn't create smoke if you follow the directions and don't burn it by allowing it to cook in the microwave 50% longer than the directions indicate...
~~ Evan

Bullshit. She chose to pull off the cap of BOILING (I always assume it is) coffee, IN HER CAR, while the cup was BETWEEN HER LEGS. Moron. All on her. Idiot. I still don't see how that case could make. ANYONE who doesn't assume that HOT coffee could SEAR THE SKIN FROM HIS/HER BONES is an utter moron.

Bones don't have skin, right?
Bring me clarity.