Pop up rod slides down

In further experimenting with my pop up rod problem, I noticed when I force down the plug in the basin to make a tight fit, the rod comes up as it should. In that sequence all is fine....but the minute after I fill the basin with water and let go of that plug, the rod slides down a little enough to start a slow drain. I checked the nut below the sink to see if its loose. Its as tight as ever...so what would make that rod slide just enough to start draining on its own?

Behind/under the sin look where the two rods connect the handle with the stopper, there should be a u shaped piece of metal that one rod passes through, that is your adjustment. To move it you pinch it and it slides along the rod. The larger adjustment may be a perforated strap, which hole in the strap you choose also controls position of the mechanism. Fool around with that a bit.

Thanks, I did do that and so far it works...thanks again:)