Poor economy hurting HOAs

"Assessment payments are as low as 50 percent in some communities, causing some board members to consider [extraordinary measures]."

Some HOAs may even go bankrupt.

Please join me in a moment of silent reflection. Smiles permitted.

HeyBub

My dads HOA plan looks terrible with many foreclosed derelict looking homes

in the case of foreclosure HOAa are unable to do anything about condition of homes

he lives in phoenix.

I wouldnt live in a HOA plan

Reply to
bob haller

On the other hand HOAs in established communities are doing just fine. The community my wife manages has 799 doors, 4 are in foreclosure and one of those is still paying his dues.

I still wouldn't live in a deed restricted community. You are right about that. My little community has a voluntary HOA, no arm twisting. We still have about 75% dues participation and simply by treating our residents like adults and neighbors, we also have very few problems.

Reply to
gfretwell

e quoted text -

I DONT want anyone trying to tell me I cant have a satellite dish visible from the street.........

Or no garage doors open.

Geez they go nuts

Reply to
bob haller

Just about as funny as the higher prices you pay because of shoplifting, or someone ripping off your kid's bike.

In my condo association, there have been liens against four of the eight units within the past 2 years. One of those owners is in default on several other properties. Another, who pays no property tax because he is disabled, did not make one - not any - of the monthly maintenance assessments since his purchase in fall of last year. Board members have to deal with these headaches and pay bills. Irresponsible jerks brought our economy to it's knees.

I like this quote from the article: "I haven't seen bake sales yet or carwashes," said association attorney Robert Tankel of Dunedin. "But I have suggested that people who don't pay need to consider doing that. Sell their flat-screen TVs."

Reply to
norminn

Irresponsible jerks brought

And they still are. Thanks to the genius in the White House.

Reply to
evodawg

I After this is *over* watch inflation take off. It is possible, tho not likely, we could lose the dollar. We're in a fine mess. Should have let them all fail. bail outs are BS.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

You are pretty much summing up what I told our little HOA when they suggested becoming a 720 deed restricted (liens etc) community. I had a similar situation in a condo I owned some years ago. The people you would normally try to bring into compliance of some rule with a lien are also the ones who don't care because they are upside down on their mortgage. Your lien gets piled up under banks, tax men and perhaps even code enforcement. The deadbeat we had in the condo was like yours, never paid a dime. We had thousands of dollars worth of liens, huge legal bills and after the bankruptcy court was done we still never got a dime. I sold the condo when the selling was good and never looked back.

Reply to
gfretwell

He's back in Crawford. Blame all the dumb-asses who buy the cheapest imported junk they can find, put it on their maxed-out credit cards, re-fi the house to pay the credit-card bill, and still haven't got a clue how to get out of the mess....they all vote for "smaller government" but want uncle to fix THEIR mess.

The hundreds of billions we have paid for the "war" is nothing compared to future costs for vets with PTSD and brain injuries. 'Been talking about fixing SS for forty years - well the day has almost arrived. Blame the mess on Obama? Our trouble started when he was in kindergarten. I just about puke when I watch all the sad interviews about the effects of the economy - what to do if junior can't attend the college of choice next year...how to tell the kiddies they can't have a $500 toy for Christmas.... Let's be sure to vote for the next shyster who promises to lower taxes and print Bible verses on the currency.

Reply to
norminn

Thats FUNNY the homeowner would likely be sited for running a business from their home, or too many garage sales etc..........

Reply to
bob haller

On Tue, 19 May 2009 07:04:36 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote Re Re: Poor economy hurting HOAs:

Well said.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

If you think there is any important difference between the last bozo and the current bozo you haven't been paying much attention. I don't see any end to the 16 year old war anytime soon, the debt is getting worse, jobs are still being exported and the same people are working for Obama who screwed the pooch during Bush 1, Clinton and Bush 2.

Meet the new boss Same as the old boss The Who ~ 1975

Reply to
gfretwell