Pool sand filter leaking

The output on my sand filter developed a leak. I think it's a seal that needs to be replaced or cleaned and lubed but I need to get the coupling apart to fix it.
It's 29 years old so the plastic is probably very brittle. Does anyone have experience with removing the coupling and repairing the seals?
Here is the coupling:
http://www.safaricabs.com/output.jpg
It's a BakerHydro sandfilter.
Here's a blow-up:
http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerii1969-83.gif
another:
http://www.poolcenter.com/images/8bakerII_hrv1984.gif
I'm real worried about the coupling breaking when I take it apart. I'd rather not replace the coupling but I'm aware it maybe inevitable. Any tips appreciated.
Thanks

Do you have all winter to work on this, or are you somewhere that has swimming year-round?
On 10/21/2012 2:47 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

It's almost 90 today. I run the pool year-round.
On 10/21/2012 7:42 PM, Oren wrote:

More like Yuma Arizona or San Diego or Miami.
It snows in Albuquerque 3 months a year does it not?
Although I understand the gist of your post :)
On 10/22/2012 8:23 PM, Dusenberg wrote:

Yeah. It get's pretty dang cold in ABQ. I lived there for 25 years. I bought my first down jacket there. The elevation in the heights is 1 mile.
I live in Austin now. It's quite a bit warmer here.
I had an old Tahitian filter with similar fittings. When they gave way, I was able to add new fittings using glue in extenders and a little replumbing. If you run into trouble, all is not lost. Here's a link: http://www.h2oco.com/online_catalog/catalog/k/k_3.htm My local sprinkler supply company has these, not the swimming pool places or HD.

You will probably find that is already broken and in need of being replaced.
On 10/21/2012 2:09 PM, gonjah wrote:

Some very good news. Went to HF and bought a rubber strap wrench ($3.99). I tighten it just a tiny bit and the leak is gone.
The Home-Repair Gods smiled on me today. :)