Pool Return Inlets Adjustment

I need to adjust return inlets in my pool in order for a pool cleaner to work properly. This is 10 yrs old pool, and nobody probobly touched those inlets for all these years - so it is really hard now to loosen the lock rings holding the eyeballs in the inlets. In fact, I couldn't do it by hand.

They are plastic lock rings ~2.5 or 3 inches in diameter. Of course, they are under water. I don't think it would be a good idea to use metal pliers on them, and anyway I don't have pliers that big. Does anyone know if there's some tool (plastic?) that could help me to unscrew these rings, and where to get it? Or maybe there is some kind of lubricant or something that I can apply to the rings, and which is safe to use in pool?

Thanks!

Teddy FL

Reply to
Teddy

Try one of those rubber "jar opener" pads.

Reply to
Greg

A strap wrench might work.

Failing that, check with the local pool supply store and see if the rings your pool uses are still availible. If so, cut or break the old rings loose and replace 'em.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

if you're bothering to call the pool supply store, ask em how they get em off. there may even be a special tool you could get cheaply.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Get a piece of PVC pipe the same diameter as the rings. There will be 3 or

4 "flanges" on it. Cut notches in the pipe to match these and you have made an eyeball wrench. Pool store told me to do this.

Reply to
C.R.GRAHAM

Just use a plain old pipe wrench. Don't be squeamish about immersing the metal. Use a bit of paper as a pad if you want to avoid marring the plastic with the wrench jaws.

PVC tends to embrittle over time, and threads tend to seize, so you may have to break these off to replace with new. Not hard to find at pools stores or the Web.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I wonder why it needs to be adjusted? All the jets do is force water back into the pool in a roughly circular motion. I think that that is less important than as long as you have some motion in the pool. My last pool was 24,000 gallons it took 3-4 hours to get an noticeable circular motion started. It sure was not much. Check your return, in the cool deck. I ran mine so that I was drawing mostly from the top and not the bottom. Helped keep the dust and dog hair in check. Your situation might be different.

Reply to
SQLit

If you are thinking about circulation when you plumb the pool you don't need eyeballs. I set my returns in at a slight angle. The plaster guy made it look fine. You can throw a ping pong ball anywhere in the pool and it will be in the skimmer within an hour or so.

Reply to
Greg

The problem isn't uncommon. I found that with my Aquabug by Hayward that the floating hose needs to float completely freely, not influenced by even a slight whirlpool action. It works better if I direct the water return down, as opposed to it's normal "skimming" position, which is hard to the side, causing a whirlpool effect.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Sure you do. You need to balance the output via impedance to even the flow. Otherwise the outlets closer to the pump get most of the output, and the further ones are starved (and the water there tends to stagnate, or you have to pay lots more for extended pumping time to overcome the imbalance). First grade pool plumbing or A/C ductwork design. Ever notice how fire sprinklers or A/C ducts get skinnier after branching?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I home run'ed the returns and balance them with valves. It was mostly for my water fall but I can also balance the flow. It works.

Reply to
Greg