Pool problem

Hello I opened my in-ground pool last week. It has been a week but the water is still green. Algae is still at the bottom of the pool with other junk. The filter has been running continuesly. What should I do. Is it normal, how long will it take for water to clear? Will algaecide kill algea sitting on the bottom of the pool foor?

Go buy pool shock. I bet you will need about 5 or 6 bags. The filter won't get rid of it . You will have to clean your filters. Better hope you did not stain your plaster. Then I would find a pool supply to test your water and teach how to take care of a pool or pay for a pool service. I take care of my pool the same year round. I test the water once a week and have it tested once a month.
Sacramento Dave writes:

Chlorination is futile without pH control.
Don't use cyanurated chlorine.

That's why you test the water more than just chlorine, pH, alkalinity, Phosphate , Cyaneric(sp) acid., Salt level ( salt water pool ) The pool is a chemical balancing act Your right it's more than just chlorine. But why would someone let their pool get in that condition? It's that attitude it's winter screw the pool.
Sacramento Dave writes:

No. Chlorine and pH are the only two that have anything directly to do with disinfection and algae control.
Phosphate?

couple shock/brush cycles and then you will have a plugged filter so rinse it off or backwash, depending on what kind you have.

Your not in bad shape if you can see the bottom...
Shock the pool ..wait a day or two and shock it again..
Add water to the pool (to the top or above the top of the skimmers) get out your vac and VACUME THE POOL to waste... This will get rid of "most" of the dead algae that settled to the bottom. Clean, backwash (AND RINSE) the filter Adjust your water level back to normal...
This should get you close to where you want to be... Have your water tested...add what chemicals you need according to the directions...
I (personally) put my pool in over 30 years ago... its always green when I open it...and most of the time I can never see the bottom drain...lucky if I see the bottom in the shallow end...
Honestly I DO test the pool water a couple of times a summer but not on a regular basis...I do however look at and "feel" the water almost daily.
Bob G.
Ali writes:

Eliminate cyanurics if present. Lower pH to 7 or less. Free chlorine at a few ppm will then kill algae.