Pool Plastering Question

This is alt.home.repair so I will ask here since I believe that a pool is a part of a house, and it does need repairs occasionally.
My pool plaster is starting to deteriorate. I have called for estimates, and a top-of-the-line redo is $4200 from a very reputable local contractor. I have since talked with pool guys and they say I can acid wash it and do minor plaster repairs with fixes available at the pool place.
Anyone have experiences with acid washing/patch plastering?
I really don't think this is in bad enough shape to justify $4200 for aqua pebble-tech. And if I have to do it once a year, no biggie for a couple of Franklins. I can do it for a lot of years for $4200.
What say ye?
steve
You don't say what is wrong with your plaster but I can give you some advice.
If your plaster is still smooth but stained than acid washing is usually the way to go. Depending on how bad the staining dictates how much to dilute the acid. The stronger the acid though, the rougher the surface will be when the acid wash is done. You can generally acid wash 3 to 5 times during the 15 to 20 year life of the plaster, but proper maintenance is the best approach (chemical balance, vaccuming, etc) to keep the stains away to start with.
Re-plastering is pricy because it involves roughing up the entire surface as well as reducing the thickness of the existing plaster. THis is done with air hammers with ends that look like 2 inch square meat tenderizers. It takes days to prep a pool for plastering, and then the plasterers put on a new coat. The pool will look like new when done, but you have to treat the plaster like new. Brushing it daily, catching anything that might stain it like leaves.
If your pool is 15 years old or more, you might think about replastering. If it isn't and the plaster is structurally OK, I might go the acid wash route.

contractor.
of

The plaster has some black spots. Some are tiny, some are in patches, and some are in patterns. There are about four places where the plaster has deteriotated 1/4", and it is about a 2"x2" area. Mostly stuff that will clean off with stainless wire brushing.

the
the
the
What dilution would I use?

as
Got the pitch from the pool replasterer guy. A real primer on pool repairs with lots of photos. I tend to like the idea of a new pebble-tech bottom, but the wifey doesn't like the idea of major $$ outlay. We had the cool deck redone and it looks fantastic. Better than when new because of the advances in materials.

If
route.
It definitely is that old. Just trying to check out alternatives before going whole hog in an unnecessary direction.
Steve
All I can say is that if the surface is not to rough to walk on, than you should just acid wash, and push out the replaster as long as you can. Remember that the plaster is cosmetic, not structural.
It has been many years since I did, it but I think we started at 4 to 1 water to acid. You can always make it stronger. Your local pool supply house should be able to help. I have used Muriatic acid strait before, but it was an extreme case and definitely roughed up the surface. The people had us do it every year instead of buying a pool cover.
Remember to always add acid TO water.
Also could your black spots be black algae? It usually takes an algaecide to treat black algae not chlorine.
I hope this helps,
Andrew

surface
with
the
it
repairs
replastering.
if i learned anything here its not wise to put replies at the top. some regulers here get pretty pissy.
n writes:

Not an issue with muriatic acid.
Desert Traveler writes:

See my page at: