Pool multi-port valve, turn handle in one direction?

Here's a question for those of you with experience with a pool multi-port valve. I've been having a debate with a friend who says you're only supposed to turn them in one direction otherwise it will screw up the spider gasket that's at the bottom of the valve. But I don't see how that can happen. The valve uses a spring to push the disc inside down onto that spider gasket/seal. To move the valve, you push the handle down, which moves the disk up so you can rotate it. At that point, nothing is even touching the gasket/seal, so I don't see how which direction you turn it matters. I do see how if you try to turn it without pressing the handle all the way down, that would rub against the gasket and could dislodge it, screw it up, etc.

I've also seen threads about this online, with some alleged pool experts also giving the "only turn it one way" advice. But the manual for the valve says nothing. Nor is there any arrow or indication of this issue on the valve itself.

Here's it the type of valve:

trader_4

bob_villa

Another clear indication of who it is that's intolerant and turns valid threads into insults.

Reply to
trader_4

You clearly have a problem, like your roof vent tirade with micky...think about how this goes over with the people around you? May be it's time to seek help?

Reply to
bob_villa

I have a problem? I posted a legitimate question here. YOU came in here, didn't post anything to do with the question and instead started a personal attack. That's because you obviously don't know anything about pool valves or anything else. As for the Micky thing, no tirade, just asked for a link to his ridge vent product that has the impossible characteristics he listed, that's all. You're just sore because whenever anyone ask you to back up anything here, you can't and you wind up embarrassing yourself. Again, just the facts.

Reply to
trader_4

What did the pool store (or manufacturer) say when you asked?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

As I stated in my original post, nothing in the manufacturer's manual. Pool stores, in my experience are full of BS, unless you think a pimple faced summer HS student is an expert. Thanks for the usual, what does the MF say stuff. And I gather, like some others here, you don't even know WTG this valve is,] do you?

Reply to
trader_4

need validation?

nk about how this goes over with the people around you? May be it's time to seek help?

My advice to you (if you have sense enough) would be to leave this friend d o what he has been doing (successfully) since this was how he learned to do it. You know the answer already to your own question...so there is no need to ask it here. Again...just the facts.

Reply to
bob_villa

ou need validation?

hink about how this goes over with the people around you? May be it's time to seek help?

do what he has been doing (successfully) since this was how he learned to do it. You know the answer already to your own question...so there is no ne ed to ask it here. Again...just the facts.

Again, you don't know the subject material, so why make an ass of yourself? I know. That's what you libs like to do.

Reply to
trader_4

The only time you do not want to turn a multiport pool valve in either direction is when the PUMP IS ON.

I made that mistake 4 years ago, replaced the whole Hayward head, and never repeated it.

Other than that, it's just like a TV tuner knob - can be turned either way.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Why would I need to know...I'm giving YOU advice though? You won't take it and you don't like it, but it is advice! And then it goes political, because you know I have a point.

Reply to
bob_villa

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Last time I replaced mine the pool guy at our local pool store said to only turn one way. He's always given me good advice.

I admit that it doesn't seem to matter but it may have something to do with not pushing the handle all the way down when twisting. I replaced mine Nov 2013 and I'm not having any spider gasket issues. As I recall there is a ridge that can get worn fairly easily. You can see the ridge here

gonjah

I replaced the spider seal here about 2 years ago, I think. This time it's the shaft seal that has a slow leak. When the pump shuts off, you can hear air going in and over hours, the filter tank winds up draining back into the pool. I have a seal kit coming.

I agree that not pushing the handle all the way down could be a problem. Some of those gaskets apparently aren't even glued in. If the plate is still against it, not only would it wear it, but could also pull it out of the gap it sits in.

Reply to
trader_4