Pool light replacement

We had the concrete deck around our community swimming pool ripped out for replacement and find the electrical line to the pool light badly corroded. There is a 1/2" brass or heavy copper (red brass?) conduit extending about 6" from the light housing in the pool wall to what was once a junction box in the deck, but the box is long gone. It looks like the guy that replaced the light 10-15 years ago simply ripped out the box, joined the conductors, and poured concrete over it. From that point to the cabaña, about 25-30 feet away, is a badly corroded metal conduit.

I've learned that "deck boxes" are no longer allowed, but pool lights can now be purchased with very long leads. So, we want to locate a new junction box at the cabaña. The question is what kind of conduit should be used from the end of the existing copper conduit to the new junction box. Can we somehow join the copper to the gray plastic conduit, or do we have to use copper all the way?

TIA

Ed

Reply to
Ed

You could use red brass to extend what you already have, or remove everything back to the shell and install PVC. It will still have to extend to a deck box, which these days are mounted above ground and the pvc must include a solid #8 conductor in it along with the cord from the fixture

Reply to
RBM

Thanks.

So I gather that PVC is not forbidden in a pool environment, but it must be red brass all the way or PVC all the way? Is it that there can't be a break in the conduit between the shell and the above ground deck box?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

There can't be a break in the conduit from the shell to the deck box, but the problem is the red brass pipe isn't large enough for the #8 conductor to fit with the light cord. I believe you need 1" to fit both. There is a termination in the shell and in the deck box for the #8. Also red brass pipe would cost more than the pool

Reply to
RBM