Pool light question

Page 1 of 4
Do in ground pool lights use conduit or just the wires buried deep below the surface? I have a side view drawing of the pool when constructed but it doesn't show electrical wires ,just a side view of the pool.

The code requires conduit, either red brass (not used for decades) or Rigid Nonmetallic Conduit (gray PVC) There would be no way to replace or even install a light in a wet niche without it. Typically there is an unspliced STOW cord going from the sealed light assembly to the elevated junction box somewhere near the edge of the pool deck through this flooded conduit. There will also be an insulated #8 bonding wire in there that bonds the niche to the equipotential pool grid. (all metal within 5' of the water) The connection to the niche is "potted" in epoxy or other listed compound.

Most of the manufacturers want you to replace the gasket too.

300W, geez, I would be looking for an LED replacement for that puppy!

Not knowing precisely what you have currently, I would suggest checking out Amazon. For example, here is a 300W LED replacement pool light that uses 20w.
http://amzn.to/2cxkGd9
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 22:53:31 +0000, Stormin' Norman

I wonder if those are dimmable?
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 19:03:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No idea, you could post that question on Amazon.
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 23:08:55 +0000, Stormin' Norman

Reading the description, I doubt it. You select the color by flipping the power on and off
On 09/26/2016 10:53 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

I think they are lying about their light output.
I've not seen a 20 watt led capable of producing the same light output as a 300 watt halogen.
On 09/27/2016 04:54 AM, Chief Soh Cah Toa wrote:

_Approximate_ values are:
incandescents = 20 lumens/watt
halogens = 25 lumens/watt
LEDs and T5 fluorescents = 100 lumens per watt
While I realize that no one has ever been killed by a properly installed pool light,
I'd still try to find a 12 volt pool light that would totally remove the shock risk.

RSC = Recessed single contact

I doubt you will have any luck finding a LED replacement for a 300w halogen T3 RSC bulb. That seems like quite an odd duck for a for a pool light.
If I were in your position, I would identify the Light fixture currently in your pool and see if I could find, on eBay or Amazon, a replacement fixture that would fit your existing niche and that would accept an LED bulb. I just can't imaging pissing away that much power for a single pool illumination light bulb.
Depending upon your current light niche, I am finding quite a few fixtures for $100 - $150. I am now going to bow out and leave any further detective work up to you, good luck.

I happened across this interesting looking product from one of the big names in the pool business. I have no idea what it would cost you from a discount house.
http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/res-lighting/universal-crystalogic-pool---spa-lights-i-uclcry--1
On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 5:21:51 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:

I thought you passed away?

Thanks for clarifying that for him. I filter out all posts from Googlegroups, so I would never have seen his question.

Thanks for letting me know.
Stormin' Norman presented the following explanation :

You might be able to filter them in, if you cared to. ;)
On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 4:01:40 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:

...and systems where a newsreader can not be installed.
(But you won't see this)

It is a shame there is so much chaff emanating from Google groups. The static drowns out the relevant content in the majority of groups that I follow. I could refine my filter so it is not global and only applies to specific groups, I will have to consider doing that if I continue to follow this group.
On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 13:09:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

If you use the old versions of Agent, they do not get "installed". It is an EXE that can run off a thumb drive and not leave any tracks in the PC.