Pool Heater 250K BTU Pentair MiniMax NT - how to read yellow Energy Rating Report?

I am putting in a pool, and the Pool supplier provided a 250,000 BTU Pentair MiniMax NT unit. I mentioned beforehad I had heard that many units cost $5-30/day to run, and I wanted the most efficient unit possible (in reason, cost/efficiency).

When I got the unit (not installed yet), it had a yellow energy rating sheet on the side.

Blah, Blah, Compared to similair models, this unit's efficiency ranks:

78 - 82 - - - - - - 97

Is 82% bad? Should I have my vendor provide a different solution? Or does it simply take so much money per day to run a 250K BTU unit, regardless of efficiency?

Thank you! Mike

Reply to
M. Osborne
82 % is avg , its not efficient, its not a condensing High efficiency unit. 93%+ are Condensing. Look for the 97% Dont install it if you want more efficiency . A 97 vs 82 saves more than 15%. maybe near 19% There is a formula, but I forgot it. Condensing units are also more maintenance prone get a 10 yr warranty, But there is a good payback but a higher price initialy.

Now lets see what Daves Hacked up Heating has to say.

Reply to
m Ransley

Start with the Btu per hour. Your utility company can tell you what it costs to buy that much energy. Let's say it is $10.

You buy the energy and you fuel your heater with it. In the most efficient units, the 97% ones, 242,500 Btu of energy will get to your pool, the rest goes up the stack. So, for every $10 in energy cost, 30¢ is wasted. Now you compare it with the 82% efficient unit, 205,000 Btu is heating your pool, 45,000 is going to the atmosphere. For every $10 spent, 1.80 is wasted.

Yes, it will take so much per day to run the 250k unit regardless of efficiency, but how much actually goes to heating and how much goes to waste is a big factor. So, what will it cost you to run the unit? Depends on how cold the water is, how much you want to warm it, what the outside temperature is, etc. In Arizona in August, it will cost nothing. In North Dakota in February, it will cost a hell of a lot. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin you said , probably a typo , a 97% wastes. 0. 30 c, you mean three of course

Reply to
m Ransley

Does anyone know a make/model of a 97% efficient condensing pool heater?

Thanks! Mike

m Ransley wrote:

Reply to
M. Osborne

I was basing that on $10 fuel cost. For $1 it would be .03. I probably should have used a more realistic fuel cost anyway. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Does anyone know of some brands/model of 97% Condensing units? I did a google search, but could not find any.

I think this is the route I want to go. I guess it doesn't make much of a difference if I want to heat the pool up for a day or weekend, but if I'm going to run it for a month, it could save a $100 or so per month.

Thanks in advance. Mike

m Ransley wrote:

Reply to
M. Osborne

Does anyone know of some brands/model of 97% Condensing units? I did a google search, but could not find any.

I think this is the route I want to go. I guess it doesn't make much of a difference if I want to heat the pool up for a day or weekend, but if I'm going to run it for a month, it could save a $100 or so per month.

Thanks > 82 % is avg , its not efficient, its not a condensing High efficiency

Reply to
M. Osborne

It is made it has been rated, try pool companys. Try Weil mc Lain ,Burnham, Carrier, Lennox . If it is a regular house boiler there is a 99% unit made , by who , I forgot. Try Energy Star and Epa a few Gov sites with ratings for everything. Everything is rated the problem is where to look.

Reply to
m Ransley

Let's put it this way. What are you willing to spend on power to heat your pool? $50/month, $100/month, $500/month, $1000/month?

I expect you have no realistic idea how ridiculously expensive pool heating is, no matter what the efficiency.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
J.Caldwell

If you are that concerned, and its good, and you have the area and budget get a supplemental solar water heater and solar cells for electric pump operation. Plus a 97% or 99 % boiler.

Reply to
m Ransley