Pool Heat Pump Drain Line

Hi folks,

I woke up this morning and had water leaking out of my pool heat pump. I determined that the fitting that attaches the drain/discharge line to the bottom of the heat exchanger had broken. I'm assuming this allows the unit to be drained for the winter or something.

Anyway, the male end of the broken fitting is still lodged in the hole in the heat exchanger. I don't have a tool that can grab it to unscrew it. Does anyone know if something like this is available? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Dutch Buckhead

Is it plastic?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yes, the broken fitting is plastic and it appears the discharge/drain tube itself is plastic as well.

Reply to
Dutch Buckhead

Well I would (and I don't recommend you or anyone else do this) using a hacksaw blade cut through the inside of the fitting down to the threads of the heater, careful not to damage them, and pry/twist the broken piece out in one piece hopefully so you can try to match it up with something. Have you any experience with PVC pipe installation/repair? If not you'll need to get a plumber.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks for the information. I don't have any experience at this. Someone told me I might be able to use a stub extractor or a nipple extractor, but the smallest one I could locate is 1/2 inch. That is still much larger than the hole in the broken fitting.

Reply to
Dutch Buckhead

Oh ok then I wasn't sure the size so I guess a hacksaw blade wouldn't fit inside anyway. That's an awful small fitting by the way, i was expecting something around 3/4 or so.

Reply to
Meat Plow