Pool Filter Wiring Size

Hi All,

I have an above ground pool with a 3/4 HP pool filter pump motor. The filter & pump are over 20 years old now, and I think it is time to replace them. The pump and motor are getting noisy, and the filter housing is developing some surface cracks on it that I'm sure will eventually start to leak..

My question is this---with the 3/4 HP motor, the system was originally wired with #12 wire. Most of the new filter systems that I am finding all have 1 HP or larger motors. Can I run a 1 HP motor on #12 wiring and a 20 amp GFCI ??? The 3/4 HP motor has never popped the breaker, and on the motor it says max current draw is 11.4 amps. How much more does a 1 HP motor draw ???

RON ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

RBM