pool filter size?

I purchased my pool approximately 3 years ago (above ground 24' round with 48" sidewalls, approximately 13,000 gallons). I've often wondered if the filter I was sold (as part of the pool kit) was appropriate for the size pool I have because no one else around me has a filter this small (80 lb. sand). I've never had clear water. I'm constently monitoring pool chemicals and haven't had much problem maintaining the values where I'm told to keep them. Over the past month I've spent nearly $400 on chemicals and still have a green pool. As an occupation, I install ornamental aluminum fencing around inground pools so I know a few pool installers. They have told me my filter is too small but the supplier where I bought the pool says this is a standard installation and they've never had any problems with the 80 lb filters.

What do I do? I've been told that I need three things to maintain a clear pool, circulation (1hp pump), chemicals (daily monitoring and maintenance), and filtration (I don't know that I can afford another stinking filter).

Help please!!!!!!!!

Reply to
james.smith1

How many hours per day do you run the pump?

Reply to
John Keiser

I run my filter a minimum of 8 hours per day, but many times I leave it on 24 hours. I forgot to add that the filter and pump are both Doughboy.

New information: I borrowed a 200 lb Hayward filter from a friend whose pool is currently down. It was installed three mornings ago, this morning I have cloudy/ clear water (first time in 2 1/2 years I've seen the bottom of my pool).

Reply to
james.smith1

With those hours of use, the Hayward should be adequate. Perhaps it was filled with the wrong type of sand? Open it up and feel the sand. It should be fairly gritty. Or take a sample to the pool supply store.

Reply to
John Keiser

Sorry, I meant the "Doughboy" should be sufficient even at 80 pound capacity.

Reply to
John Keiser