Pool Equipment Dilemma

I have a 7,200 gallon in-ground fiberglass pool (12x20x4). There is 2" PVC plumbing to the pump (Hayward SP3020EE). The pump has a 2 HP motor. There is 1 1/2" PVC plumbing from the pump to the filter (Hayward C1100). The exit plumbing on the filter is 1 1/12" PVC which goes back to the pool. I acquired the pool and equipment used almost 6 years ago. The base of the filter system is now leaking and needs to be replaced. Based on the information I am finding around on the internet, I could downgrade to a C-250 and I would still be over the minimum requirement for a 7,200 gallon pool. The only thing that worries me is if there would be too much pressure from the pump for a smaller filter system. I have asked several people working at pool stores in the area. As soon as I let on that I currently have the C-1100, they start salivating and assure me that I should replace the equipment with at least the same size if not bigger. But I don't get a good feeling that their recommendations are based on something other than greed. Is there anyone out there that really understands the water pressure involved that can verify if a 2 HP motor will really cause too much pressure for the smaller filter system?

Please Advise, Mr. Boning

Reply to
Mr. Boning

I have a 16000 gal pool The pump puts out about 10 to 12 pounds pressure. I'll bet your pump is putting about the same. You could have a 5HP motor 10 pound of pressure. 10 pounds of pressure regardless of HP motor is 10 pounds Pressure, The advantage of a higher HP would be a larger impeller witch moves more volume the more water you can move in a pools filter system the better. I'm sure the filter manufacturer could supply the information you need. The sales people would most likely want to sell you a new motor. I myself would think the larger motor would be better. Most people get pressure and volume mixed up there two separate thing. 1/2" pipe with 10 psi and a 2" pipe with 10 psi witch will move more water?

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I believe that filters are rated for the volume they can handle. Similarly, pumps are rated for output volume at given pressures. As long as the filter is designed for the rated pump output, you should be fine.

I did not find your filter. That pump pushes a lot of water, so a small filter might not be a good idea.

Bob

Reply to
Bob
2HP for 7200 gallon pool? i vote no way! that is way oversized for a new pump not to mention the amount of $$ energy you're blowin on that unless you're running a ton of water features.

mines probably 12k-16k gallons, with at least a 100 foot rise to the roof to enter the solar panels. I have a 1 1/2 hp and I could run a 1

1/4hp but i run a polaris sweep off it also. In the future i'm going to bump the pump size down and use a booster for the polaris. Plumbed 2" at filters and solar, 1 1/2 to the pool.

You need to go here...

its a pretty decent tutorial when i was replumbing my pool. Also read the docs at the pool filter and pump manufacturers sites.

You also need to keep in mind a new pump will be more efficient over a pump 8 or 10 years ago.

-shawn

Mr. B> I have a 7,200 gallon in-ground fiberglass pool (12x20x4). There is 2"

Reply to
shawn

Reply to
shawn

Way, way too much pump for that size pool. You've been spending $50 per month in wasted power running that thing.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Holly Cow... my pool is 5 times the size of yours.. and I run a 1 1/2 horse power pump and have for close to 30 years..

No Idea on exactly what pump amd filter you are using BUT it sounds to be extremely oversized for your application...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

I'm running a 1.5 Hp motor with a 450 sq.ft. filter area and the a 3/4 HP pump for the Polaris. 16000 gal. pool.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave