Pool Diatomaceous Earth Disposal

Will backflushing my DE pool filter into a sanitary sewer line clean-out cause problems (clogging ?). I wouldn't do this into a septic tank, but how about city sewer ? Looking for a way to get rid of the dirty DE material. Options are:
1 - Take the filter apart and hose off in the driveway, or yard somewhere (messy) 2 - Backwash into a large hose and drain into the yard somewhere (messy) 3 - Backwash into a garbage can w/ a hole in the bottom, lined with a large trash bag, let the junk settle, drain the water through a small hole (still messy) 4 - Install a separation tank - (tried this ... kept having to replace the cloth bags as they blew out ...). 5 - Backwash into a large hose that empties into a sanitary sewer cleanout.
Ideas ?

Definitely option #5.
My DE pool filter is plumbed directly to the sewer line from the house. It is a common practice for me to backflush into that drain. DE will flow easily with water, and the concentration is such that there isn't enough DE to clog it. My DE filter holds about eight pounds per charge. Put it down the drain slowly, and run plenty of water. I don't think you will have a problem. I have not had a problem with mine AT ALL.
Draining it anywhere is just like cleaning out a paint sprayer that you have used white latex in. The area will be white for a long time. Doing the driveway or lawn thing is not a good idea. I have spilled mine around the filter while trying to get the last of the DE to go down the drain, and it takes a LOT of flushing to get the white to go away.
Steve

I used to drain to the sanitary sewer but got tired of running the hose that far (125 feet) so started just back washing into my back yard grass. It doesn't leave any white spot or anything to speak of and a minute with a garden hose takes care of the brownish backwash material that is visible. Been doing that for 10 years with no problems.

That seems to me to be more earth friendly. thanks.
.... : >I used to drain to the sanitary sewer but got tired of running the : >hose that far (125 feet) so started just back washing into my back : >yard grass. It doesn't leave any white spot or anything to speak of : >and a minute with a garden hose takes care of the brownish backwash : >material that is visible. Been doing that for 10 years with no : >problems. : : That seems to me to be more earth friendly. : thanks. : Actually it's supposed to be good for the lawn since the tiny shells hold water for the turf, plus DE kills off grubs and other things like that. DE is specifically recommended for grub control, in fact.
Just my 2 cents

I was wondering about that. I had heard that DE is good to get rid of crawly bugs by spreading the powder around.
My comments about the white spots came from places where it had gotten on concrete and walkways, so I thought it might do the same thing to the lawn. It doesn't really stain it, just lays there and turns white when it dries out.
Some things are actually good for lawns, like some soaps. They help with insect control. So, I was wrong about the DE hurting the lawn.
Steve

I believe that filter DE is different than the DE used for pest prevention. If I remember correctly, filter DE is finer and more likely to cause problems if inhaled.
Bob

Like, WOW, man! I just snorted some of this **** and I can see diatoms!
Steve (sorry, just a 60's flashback) <g>
Thanks all for the ideas. Yes, I too have heard that the pool filter stuff is processed differently and not the best stuff to have in your environment. It also builds up, and I really don't want a layer of this stuff building up on the lawn with the kids playing in it, creating dust, breathing it etc. And the lawn doesn't generally do too well with pool water. Disposing of it in the sanitary sewer may be the lesser of evils. However, I suppose I could package it in little baggies and send it to Bob's house for resale ;-)
wrote

Scott Sherratt writes:

Since you are being so reasonable about airborne silica, you will of course avoid the beach, especially on breezy days.
Yep - I avoid the beach on very windy days. I like to be warm. Our beaches are cold enough on calm days.
I've read other articles where people consider used Pool DE as "Haz-Mat" ... So the truth is out there somewhere. And no, I don't wear a bunny suit & a gas mask to the beach ... though with cold temps, and some of the strange stuff in the water, might not be a bad idea.

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:45:01 -0700, "Scott Sherratt"
You should not get in the water if that is true.
My city water tested right in the middle of the sweet spot with my pool test kit (reagents) and people water their grass all the time with it.
Algae likes the pool water just fine - grows well if I don't keep up with the chlorine. The grass just doesn't like it ... probably wierd california grass....

replying to Ashton Crusher, L.O wrote:

You are an IDIOT!! 10 years of toxic pool DE is harmful to humans, wildlife, and pets. It is NOT untreated DE which is completely safe for human consumption in water, and has been used for decades to control hard shelled pests [roaches, ants, spiders, etc] in agriculture, poultry and beef ranches. Pool DE that was left all over my property and that of most of my Los Angeles neighbors contributed to our rabbits cancer, the neighbors' rabbits epilepsy, and untold health risks to the birds, hawks, and small animals that are struggling to stay alive and thrive amidst LA's many pollutants.
Pool DE is NOT to be breathed or allowed to sit on the skin of any living being! Safe disposal is ESSENTIAL and is not taken seriously enough by pool owners. Do some research before you ASSume your 10 year old solution is harmless....
On Friday, September 12, 2014 3:44:01 PM UTC-4, L. O wrote:

What a loon! The pool DE isn't treated. It's just exposed to the same stuff that's in the rest of the pool water. So, if you're that worried about the DE, better stay out of the pool too. The main danger from DE is if you're dumb enough to breath in the fine particulates when it's dry and coming out of the bag. Fine sand, cement, etc have the same effect. If you pump DE out into your yard when backwashing, it's no more likely to harm anyone than DE that's never been to a pool. I've been pumping it onto the lawn here, as does everybody else that I know. They sell DE to mix with soil to improve it. And if what's in the pool water is the problem, then instead of worrying about what's in the few pounds of DE, better worry about what's in the thousands of gallons that are routinely pumped out onto lawns, into sewers, etc. How exactly do the loons in LA capture the DE that comes out when you backwash?
Oren wrote:

Don't get too worried , Oren , it's just another liberal screaming "I don't understand what it is so it must be dangerous." . Let's hope to <diety of choice> they never come across a description of the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide <DHMO> , they'll try to ban that too ...
--
Snag

^^^^

Did you read what you replied to?
It's not 10 years, it's closer to 20 by now.
Who the idiot is remains to be seen.
--
Dan Espen

On 9/12/2014 4:28 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

LO is using something called flashnewsgroups.com, I have never heard of it before, but obviously they have *very* good retention.
--
Froz...