pool deck ideas

appologies for the crosspost, not sure which group is best...
we bought a house with a concrete pool deck and brick edging (that doesn't match the house brick). the initial patio was done in brick but was "connected" to the pool area concrete with slate pieces. needless to say it doesn't match well. ideally we'd like to get a more natural look to our pool area so was wondering what are options are? would we have to tear up the concrete deck (and brick edging) and lay down new slate or can one lay the slate over the concrete. if the latter, how is the edging done? i can't imaging placing slate atop the brick edging.
thanks!

shoudl read: the initial patio was done in concrete but was "connected" to the pool area concrete with slate pieces..
You can lay slate on top of the concrete if you don't mind the extra distance on the first step into the pool. The brick edging at the pool is called coping (long O). It sits on top of the pool wall and is a break between the decking and the pool. If the pool or deck settles the 2 move independently. You can replace the coping with anything you want, but make sure the final height matches your finished deck height.