Pool closing

I'm considering closing my own in-ground pool for the New England fall/winter season (I think it might get just too damn cold for swimming :-) ), but was wondering if my Porter-Cable pancake compressor -- which pressurizes to greater than 120psi (probably much more than that) -- is adequate to blow out the lines.

If it is, what kind of attachment would I need to affix to the compressor hose, and how would I ensure a tight fit to the 2" PVC lines being blown out (i.e. do I simply plug up the open area with a rag)?

All insight, experience, and recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Reply to
Jim

Forgetabout it. To flush the lines you need volume, not pressure, sure as hell not 120 psi. Consider using the "blower" end of a shop-vac.

0) Balance pool chemistry, then shock, add algacide and stain remover. Circulate for a few hours. 1) Pump out until water level is 1" - 2" below the returns. (Set valves to "waste" and run the pump) 2) Drain the pump and filter. 3) Connect shop-vac (usually there is a screw-in plug in the pump plumbing that can be removed). Duct tape comes in handy here if you haven't fashioned a way to couple these together. Blow out all lines of excessive water. 4) Insert winterizing plugs in all returns and insert a "Gizmo" in the skimmers (pool store will know about these). 5) Add pool antifreeze to pump basket and skimmer(s) 6) Install cover and wait for Spring.

You might consider letting a pool service do this one time while you watch. It's not difficult but helps to see it done once.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Joe,

Could you please tell more about antifreeze in skimmer and pump basket. I have not seen this done when company closed my pool. Why do you need this? Also - how do you winterize natural gas pool heater? How do you remove water from it? Maybe you also have experience with closing spas that are attached to pool? Do you remove water from them?

Thank you

Reply to
Pool

The local pool store will gladly sell you antifreeze for the skimmer & pump basket. The idea here is that some water will remain in the line that drains the skimmer and it needs to be protected from freezing. (I guess this depends on the severity of your winters and your penchant for thoroughness). A qt. of antifreeze dumped in AFTER you flush the lines but BEFORE you insert the "gizmo" will do this. Same for the pump basket.

For the heater, I just drain mine by removing the drain plug. I leave it out all winter (not much of one in Atlanta). The drain plug is located somewhere at / near the bottom. Some heaters also have a valve / petcock near the top of the unit. It should also be opened to allow drainage. If the manual isn't with you, it is almost assuredly available online (Google).

I know from nothing about spas. If it is integral to the pool, it seems the winterizing of one handles the other. If not, the same principals apply but there may be others who can help you further.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz