Pool chlorine tablets: How long are they "good" for when stored?

We are in the process of starting up a pool for the first time, and I just ran across a deal on chlorine tablets that I thought was too good to pass up.. 37.5 lbs. for $47.00. They had ten pails, so I bought them all. I'm not sure how much I'm going to use this summer.. I hope this'll be enough to last through a few years at least! I'm wondering though, do these tablets lose effectiveness over time in any measurable quantity?

They certainly slowly outgas chlorine, but at a rate that will take years to amount to anything significant.
Do NOT store pool chlorinators indoors, such as in a garage. The chlorine gas they slowly leak will cost you dearly in rapid corrosion to cars, tools, etc.
Beware that cyanurated (so-called "stabilized") chlorine is of mixed benefit at best because cyanurics quickly build up to levels that spoil the sanitizing power of chlorine. See "Eliminating Cyanurics" about 2/3 down my page:
http://www.truetex.com/poolcontrol.htm