Pool chlorine tablets: How long are they "good" for when stored?

We are in the process of starting up a pool for the first time, and I just ran across a deal on chlorine tablets that I thought was too good to pass up.. 37.5 lbs. for $47.00. They had ten pails, so I bought them all. I'm not sure how much I'm going to use this summer.. I hope this'll be enough to last through a few years at least! I'm wondering though, do these tablets lose effectiveness over time in any measurable quantity?

Reply to
micrologix1500

They certainly slowly outgas chlorine, but at a rate that will take years to amount to anything significant.

Do NOT store pool chlorinators indoors, such as in a garage. The chlorine gas they slowly leak will cost you dearly in rapid corrosion to cars, tools, etc.

Beware that cyanurated (so-called "stabilized") chlorine is of mixed benefit at best because cyanurics quickly build up to levels that spoil the sanitizing power of chlorine. See "Eliminating Cyanurics" about 2/3 down my page:

Richard J Kinch

replying to Richard J Kinch, Robert Williamson wrote: I disagree with you, I had some chlorine tabs from last year and I used them in the pool and when I had the water tested again it showed I had no chlorine in the pool and I still have to tabs in the floater

Reply to
Robert Williamson

Home Owners Shrub shows posts from Usenet as if they all come from that forum. By clicking on a link in your message I can tell you are replying to an 11 year old thread.

The tabs create free chlorine when they are done attacking everything that is not water in your pool. Use more and use shock treatment weekly if you can. Also keep the pool clean. Any crud in the pool is a target for the chlorine.

The tabs last over winter. Just open the container, your nose will tells you they still work.

Reply to
Dan Espen