Polyurethane vs. enamel -- kitchen cabinets

Refinishing kitchen cabinets... how would you compare regular interior latex paint covered by polyurethane versus simply using enamel paint? How would that compare? Thanks.
On 2/9/2009 11:23 AM Davej spake thus:

I assume you mean clear polyurethane varnish, correct?
Enamel better by far. Avoids any potential problems of the varnish bonding to the paint, plus the difficulty of getting a smooth flat coat of varnish.
My choice would be true enamel (oil-based), though I'm guessing you're talking about latex (water-based) "enamel" (i.e., gloss finish).
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
Davej wrote:

I would never use latex in a kitchen. Alkyd semi-gloss is, by far, my preference. If, by "enamel", you mean high-gloss, be careful. It can be very difficult for a newby to apply - I haven't used it many times, but brushing it out was tough. It can also make defects or uneven surface stand out. When it comes time to paint again, latex is a bugger because it is too soft to sand. When it comes to clean-up, it isn't much different - just water vs. mineral spirits.
Davej wrote:

Use oil base paint.
--

dadiOH

Any quality oil based alkyd enamel will look great. For a really nice finish, you can buy a Harbpr Freight compressor and spray gun ($100 +-) if you don't already have one and do the drawer fronts and doors a few at a time when weather permits outdoors. Even cheaper at $20 is a Wagner type sprayer that will give acceptable results if you're careful. This avoids the common problem of brush marks in enamels using the typical paint and brushes available today.
Joe
On 2/10/2009 6:44 PM Joe spake thus:

Ackshooly, one really nice thing about oil-based paint is that it flows much better than latex, so you don't need to spray to obtain a really smooth surface. Careful brushing will do.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it

I really like the foam brushes for this kind of application. The Woosters brushes sold at Lowes are great. Pass on the cheap and nasty Home Depot jobs.
I've poly finished a lot of cabinets with the Woosters and you'll have a hard time find a single run or even a brush stroke. They make it *really* easy to produce a very nice finish.