Polymer inground pool

I'm considering purchasing an in-ground pool. I'm looking at a vinyl- lined in-ground pool constructed using polymer materials (walls & support structure). Anybody have any experience with these - positive or negative? I live in the northeast - do they tolerate the cold weather pretty well? The salesman I spoke showed me a section of a pool wall that they had set up outside their showroom, and it appeared to be solid.

I am not considering Gunite construction as it is out of my price range. If polymer is as good as the pool salesman claims, then I'd rather stick with that and maybe get some extras rather than be "pool poor." I'm also reluctant to go with steel out of concern that it won't last as long due to rusting.

Any input would be appreciated - Thanks!

Reply to
gmarena

Polymer is very popular and you can checkout fiberglass as well. But the most important thing is to have a reputable installer and if they have been in business for 10+ years then try to find a reference installation that was made

10 years ago.

Don't be afraid to ask folks in your neighborhood with pools. This is an expensive investment and I'm sure they will be more than happy to give you their experiences (good and bad).

-- Richard Thoms President - Top Service Pros, Inc. Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals

Richard Thoms

I wouldn't want any pool with a vinyl liner, regardless if it's structure is steel, concrete, polymer, or anything else. After a few years the liners start shrinking and pull out of their track, and look like crap, and leaks are a constant nuisance. The last liner I had installed about seven years ago cost $5000. At this point, I'm considering demoing this pool and installing a fiberglass, smaller pool in the same hole. I don't know much about the fiberglass pools, but they all come with great lifetime warrantees. I too, am in the NE and the nearest manufacturer is in NJ. I plan to stop at their site this summer, and get a better idea of what I may be in for. Here is a link to their site, and if you do explore this type of pool, please post back:

RBM

I've heard vinyl can have much worse algae problems than fiberglass.

Reply to
Art