polyiso vs styrofoam

Anthony Matonak wrote

How is this any different than the foam board that completely surrounds my house now? Isn't glass fire resistant? How will this spark get into the cavity? My carpeting is completely exposed and far more susceptible to catching a spark, which would yield large amounts of poisionous gas, than a window space filled with packing peanuts.

I was mostly curious to see if anyone actually tried this and what the result was. I think I will give it a try in one window unless someone knows of any real concerns that could damage my home.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Anthony Matonak wrote

How is this any different than the foam board that completely surrounds my house now? Isn't glass fire resistant? How will this spark get into the cavity? My carpeting is completely exposed and far more susceptible to catching a spark, which would yield large amounts of poisionous gas, than a window space filled with packing peanuts.

I was mostly curious to see if anyone actually tried this and what the result was. I think I will give it a try in one window unless someone knows of any real concerns that could damage my home.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

This is a bit offtrack, but about attic insulation...

From your calculations of a typical EeffHr (radiation coefficient) of .04555 this would give a maximum effective R value of 22 no matter how thick the insulation. Thicker would get you closer to it but there are diminishing returns.

Also, not knowing the Eeff of a paper barrier, it would certainly be higher than .05

Reply to
Jeff Thies

No. Add Hc to EeffHr and take the reciprocal to find the R above, for the foil only. THEN ADD THAT TO THE R-VALUE OF THE INSULATION ITSELF.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Thanks Nick,

That was an old draft and I didn't mean to send it, you had answered this days ago...

Cheers, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Bad Idea! The glass will shatter for sure when the elephants get in there.

Reply to
Cathy Strong