Poly to finish inside stone ??

I have a large sun room extending from the front of my home. The sun room has a flagstone floor with large stones. We'd like to finish this floor so that it has deeper color and some sheen to it. I have seen stone floors that appear to have been finished with a thick coat of polyurethane? Is this common and is it as simple as it seems? I have used some stone-specific polishes, etc. on this floor and they just don't give me the finish I want.
Informative help appreciated...
John
John Doe wrote:

There is no reason you can't use it. I do on my terra cotta tile floors. Oil base will give you a "wet" look (color, not sheen). Be aware that it will need renewing from time to time...depending on foot traffic that time could be a year or two or decades. Easy way to apply is with a foam roller.
John, I covered an old painted brick fireplace with flagstone about four years ago. When finished I painted it with water based poly. Has stood up well, looks great and did darken the stone to a very nice patina. Muff
I have a large sun room extending from the front of my home. The sun room has a flagstone floor with large stones. We'd like to finish this floor so that it has deeper color and some sheen to it. I have seen stone floors that appear to have been finished with a thick coat of polyurethane? Is this common and is it as simple as it seems? I have used some stone-specific polishes, etc. on this floor and they just don't give me the finish I want.
Informative help appreciated...
John
Thanks to all who responded. Isuspected that it was okay, but needed a little encouragement. So... where's that roller and poly can...?