Polishing hardware on kitchen cabinets

I have nickle-plated hardware on my kitchen cabinets: hinges, door-pulls, knobs, etc. The hardware has started to tarnish a bit, especially those pieces that are used often. The knob on the drawer where I keep my knives is turning dark gray in color and I want to polish it up a bit. Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about this without ruining something. What is the best way to go about polishing my knob?

Reply to
Mark

First, remove the knob (usually fastened by screws inside the drawer.) Then you can experiment with various silver metal polishes without harming the drawer front. When you achieve a finish you like, you can spray it with a clear lacquer to keep it tarnish-free (until handling wears out the lacquer.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

On Sun 03 Aug 2008 07:42:41a, Don Phillipson told us...

Nickek-plate is actually a pretty delicate metal finish. Be careful of whatever product you use as a polish as it could ruin the finish with its abrasives. (Many silver poslishes are highly abrasive.)

I would first try using a jeweler's rouge cloth. If that doesn't work, you try Semi-Chrome polish in the tube, but just a very small amount on a very soft cloth.

I've also seen this recommendation on the Web:

"A brilliant polish may be given to tarnished nickel by immersing in alcohol and 2 per cent of sulphuric acid from 5 to 15 seconds. Take out, wash in running water, rinse in alcohol, and rub dry with linen cloth."

HTH

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

snip

I won't go there :-)

Reply to
PanHandler

Mark wrote in news:Xns9AEF5E6B4E36Bsingsing@194.177.96.78:

Are your right or left handed? :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Hey Red - looks like we're the only ones with dirty minds! Joe

Reply to
PanHandler

"PanHandler" wrote in news:_sElk.3829$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews9.bellsouth.net:

Nope. It's the quiet ones ya gotta keep an eye on ;-)

Reply to
Red Green