Pole Transformer Glowing Red

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 02:40:47 +0000 (UTC), "A. Baum"

Was this on a farm? Pole PIGS and CHICKS......
I bet that blast made you MOOve....
Sure sounds like a BAAAd situation.
The electrician probably used DUCKtape on the wires, and that caused the fire.
Did you call a doctor for that CHICK? I hope he wasn't a QUACK.
Or did you just take her home to help you count SHEEP?
Add pictures here
✖

She sucked the paint right off the thing.

"Blow" is just a figure of speech.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 24, 12:56 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

My best friend was a design engineer for distribution transformers made by Allis Chalmers. They went out of the transformer business in the 70s. In any case I will ask him if a transfomer could glow......
will let you know:)
Add pictures here
✖

You can't be serious. I didn't think anyone was, in this thread. ...including the OP.
Add pictures here
✖

It won't! Broad band over power lines is a flawed technology that creates a radio blackout zone around the wires. Various radio users groups have successfully forced the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to reexamine the entire concept. The last operating system in the United States of America went out of service a couple of years ago. Absent some major technological breakthrough that will preserve the value of the installed cellular, satellite, and aircraft communications networks it isn't coming back. -- Tom Horne
Add pictures here
✖
Bob Villa posted for all of us...

Causes massive radio interference with one system and both this and another incarnation were economically disastrous.
--
Tekkie

Add pictures here
✖
On 7/21/2011 4:37 PM, bob haller wrote:

If the power company changed to color of the lens to purple, they would get calls about UFO's landing on the transformers. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 03:07:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Absolutely. There is often a light on the top. It glows red when the transformer is heavily loaded.
Add pictures here
✖

people sure don't think,do they?
consider the temperature a transformer would have to reach to glow red.
Maybe their transformer has those neons like the car freaks use underneath their cars......"ground effects" lights,ISTR.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You mean the ones under the '95 Crown Vicky with the 26" wheels?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 21, 2:07 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

== I had a transformer apparently damaged by lightning which "boiled" out some of its oil. It was quite hot and smoking. One 110 volt leg in the house was okay...the other one was reduced to almost nothing as parts of the transformer overheated and burnt out...finally it quit and was subsequently replaced. ==
==
Add pictures here
✖

I think this has been posted here before, but it's a collection of "arcs and sparks". High voltage arcs, substations blowing up, lightning, other cool stuff.
The substation video is particularly impressive.
http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm
Paul F.
Add pictures here
✖

== Great stuff...thanks.
Add pictures here
✖

Seriously impressive, no doubt. But check out the links to Stoneridge Engineering. WOW!
I once worked at a govt lab constructing huge particle accelerators, more than one. I had no idea it was even legal to be built by civilians for commercial use. Check out these "lightning sculpures" and how they are made (8 min youtube video). Frankly, I'm beyond astonished. I gotta get me one of these things!
http://capturedlightning.com/frames/interesting.html
Again ....WOW!!
nb
Add pictures here
✖
In wrote:

The red "glow" would have come from an indicator on the transformer to indicate it had a problem. I imagine they saw that reflecting off something and thought it was the transformer.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 21, 4:07 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

When I lived in Ga we had some transformers on our street with lights on them. Someone told me once they came on when the transformer was overheating. I can believe this because it was usually during the summer on a Sunday...all on the street would be lite up.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 03:07:14 -0500, jw wrote:

No.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 21, 4:07 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

As a update my best friend a retired distrubution transformer design engineer reports a transformer that gets hot enough to glow will be in flames before glowing.......
as others reported some transformers have red lights that trip on if overheated, that may have formed the basis of the red glow
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 21, 4:07 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

They're idiots. They can't tell the difference between a small red indicator light, and a glow.
Add pictures here
✖