Pole Transformer Glowing Red

Page 1 of 2
Someone told me the excessive use of air conditioners and fans in their neighborhood caused their pole transformer to glow red, which was visible at night. Since I did not see it, I cant comment, but I have my doubts. I know they can get warm, but I'd think they would burn out before they glow. Has anyone ever seen a pole transformer glow red from excessive load?
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 03:07:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I've seen a lineman *appear* to glow red when heat & humidity was just right. Some techhie ought to be able to explain it-- but this guy was outlined by an 'aura' just like in the cartoons. he said he wasn't even getting a tingle-- but it was freaking us out on the ground. [I was on a telephone crew waiting for him to get done. When we did our wires on the same pole, no auras appeared-- thank you very much]
Maybe that's what they are seeing. I'm with you-- a bit skeptical that the pot can get hot enough to glow without failing.
The only transformer I ever saw glow did it 3-4 times with a huge array of sparks and loud noises. Then everything was quiet-- and quite dark. That one was caused by a tree across the main wires.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 21, 4:07 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I would be suspicious of that story since most of the transformers on pole sit in an oil-like liquid.
Hank
Add pictures here
✖

True Hank, that kind of excessive heat would expand the oil and blow them-up quickly!
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/21/2011 3:07 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Some pole mounted transformers actually have a red indicator light on top. I've seen them on more than one transformer and I'm sure It's there as a trouble indicator so a lineman can easily see which transformer is causing problems from his service truck as he drives by.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

around here they dropped the red light design after tiring of phone calls reporting red lights.
with smart meter technology transformers can likely call in reporting trouble
Add pictures here
✖

I want my hi-speed internet thru my electrical utility! When will it happen? Damn!
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 15:47:09 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa

-snip-
Not available to me-- but I'm sure I read about it being available someplace 5-6 years ago.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/21/2011 6:02 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I had a friend who was an engineer for the power company and in charge of their communications division. He told me of their communications system that was utilizing the power lined and this was back in the 1970's. I don't know if it was just voice or if it carried data communications too.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

In 2001 we were traveling way back in the boonies in very rural Utah; no cell towers anywhere; signal strength 0. As we neared a power transmission run across the landscape, signal strength slowly increased to 5 bars, then decreased back to 0 a few miles after we passed them. First time experienced power lines as a transmission source.
Add pictures here
✖

We're supposed to get it soon (they promised it within two years). Politicians wouldn't lie, would they?
Add pictures here
✖

Probably never in most areas.
Add pictures here
✖

Power line? The power company (the city, here) also owns a lot of right-of-way. They've promised to bring fiber to the house. We'll see.
Add pictures here
✖

Nope. It's not that uncommon now.
Add pictures here
✖

I'd rather have wireless or fiberoptic HS Internet. no wires to conduct lightning into my home.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

My cable company advertizes that they use fiber optic cables. Truth is that they use it up to the point where it enters the neighborhood, then it switches to copper. So I'm still susceptable to lightning, but over a smaller area.
Add pictures here
✖

I saw a pole transformer explode and catch fire one day as i drove by it. before cells phones existed i went to a pay phone and reported the situation
Add pictures here
✖

In the past, I've never reported power failures as dozens of others always did and power was quickly restored. I have to be more careful now. Last week my neighbor was home before me and called the power company. Good thing as there are only four houses on the particular transformer that blew. It took 6 1/2 hours from phone call to restoration. Minor inconvenience.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/23/2011 8:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The new remote meters many power companies are using make a difference too.
A few months back we got up on a Saturday morning and the power went off. There are 4 homes connected to the same transformer. I could see streetlights were still on down the block. I went outside and could see the fuse on the transformer serving our houses was open. I called the power company and they said they already knew because of the meters.
The electric company truck came an hour later and he replaced the fuse and power was back.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 05:06:59 -0700, bob haller wrote:

Pulled along side the road one night to watch a building on fire. Next thing I knew the pole pig exploded. Some young chick standing in front of me fainted. I caught her before she hit the ground. Those things don't glow they just blow.
Add pictures here
✖