pole sander paper

I've been looking at pole sanders. (Manual, if there's any other kind.) The heads are ~3" wide. This does not seem to be a standard size - cut sheets are wider, and cutting from a full sheet would leave a fair amount of waste.
I suspect this must make sense, but it seems screwy to me. Is there some reason you'd want to use paper that's wider than the pad?
Thanks.
On Fri, 08 May 2015 14:59:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

several sises - 4 3/16 X 11 being standard "half sheet" but 3 5/16 and 3 2/3 by 11 are more common. These are fiberglass screen sheets for sanding drywall, and are generally cut to fit the "paper clips" on the ends of the sanding pad. There's even a kit to run on your shop-vac to collect all the dust, but it has, in my experience, had a serious static electricity problem!!!
On 5/8/2015 4:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yep. Sanding 'screens'. Available in various grits in the display with the other drywall tools and supplies at any of the big-box stores. They are reversible too.
My only problem is that I tend to get carried away with the coarser grits which are extremely aggressive and plow grooves in the compound and then have to work harder to get rid of them. Oh, and they are 'screens' so that air passes straight through so they can be attached to sanding pads which have a hose going to a shop vac to remove a good bit of the dust before it gets into the air (but this only works with a good vac with high-quality filtration).
I may be stupid or hopefully onlyignorant, but what is a "Pole Sander"?
On 5/8/2015 11:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Dombrowski the sander man.

Ed's pollock jokes aside , it's a sanding pad on the end of a pole , used to sand sheetrock joints on ceilings and tall walls . There is a swivel joint where the pole meets the pad .
--
Snag

OK, but then how do you paint at such a distance, a pole paintroller???
On Sat, 9 May 2015 09:02:17 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

paint rollers is for?
I have yet to see anyone who could tape joints in sheetrock on ceilings using a pole. So you have to have a ladder or scaffolding anyway.
On Sat, 9 May 2015 21:25:50 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

Most of us have to, anyway. I've seen union tapers out of New York City taping on stilts using an enormous hock and a tape banjo. Fast and good.
On Sat, 9 May 2015 21:25:50 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

need a scaffold or ladder. Or a Banjo.. (best idea is banjo for the flats and bazooka for corners) With properly mixed compound and some skill you hardly need the pole sander.