Poison Ivy Removal Without Harmful Chemicals?

Page 2 of 2  
You can only pull it after good rain or wet the soil, or yes the plant breaks off.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:17:36 -0400, Bertie Brink

What unsafe about RoundUp? I've heard someone using household bleach spray, but isn't spraying bleach is a bit risky? I use RoundUp on very young poison ivy plants--that way they are eliminated easily with very little RoundUp. For established plants (which I have very few) I have a friend pull it out by the roots--he's immune to the poison.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:17:36 -0400, Bertie Brink

Roundup is one of the safest chemicals on the market..... It works by causing the plant to "grow itself to death". I run a farm, and use it around livestock. I dont spray it on stuff they might eat, although it claims this can be done. I do feel it's the safest product made.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What's harmful about roundup?
--
Steve Barker




"Bertie Brink" < snipped-for-privacy@donotspammailme.com> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Roundup is very safe as otehrs have pointed out, but it's not very effective against poison ivy: round up is fomulated to break down rapidly in the soil, which is where loads of poison ivy sits. You're going to need to really round up for yearts to really kill the stuff off.
The best bet is to wait for a good rain and mechaincally pull the stuff by hand. Ideally it'll actually be raining while you're doing this, but right after a good soak will do. The water minimizes the amount of oils on the plants that you're going to come into contact with and softens up the ground so that you can pull up the actuall vines which are often just below the surface and go on for a suprisingly long way.
Dose up on the poison ivy blockers, wear disposable gloves and full length clothing, double bag everything you pull, then proced deirectly to the clothes washer, strip and put everything in to be washed, then procede directly to the shower and wash up with plenty of water and a poison ivy removing soap.
This gets the whole thing cleared in one go.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC\'d posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@westnet.poe.com wrote:

I've killed lots of posion ivy over the years with Roundup and it works just fine. At the most, I've made two applications by just spraying it on. The first whacks about 90% of it. A month or two later another application gets the rest of it.
The fact that Roundup breaks down in the soil is irrelevant. It works by being absorbed by plant leaves that are above ground and killing the whole plant, roots and all.
If Roundup doesn't work, it's because people don;t know what they are doing. For example, many people have no clue what concentration they are even using. I see people post "I use 1 oz Roundup in a gallon of water", or "I use it full strength." Roundup and generic glyphosate comes in a wide variety of concentrations. Unless you specify what the actual concentration as applied is, it's meaningless.

One hell of a lot of risky work if it's in an area that can be safely sprayed without the overspray harming desirable vegetation. Even if you don't want to use Roundup, there are other herbicides that are effective and very easy to apply.

So does 5 mins with a quart of 5% Roundup.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bertie Brink wrote:

I've found Round-up to be only moderately effective. However a mix of round-up and crossbow works very well.
As for plain old rubber gloves. Don't believe it. Use Nitrile gloves when handling any toxins. Unless, of course, you are like me and don't use any.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Round up is not harmful because it rapidly decomposes to harmless materials.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:17:36 -0400, Bertie Brink

I agree with the others that Roundup is about as safe a chemical as you're going to find.
The product vine-x is supposed to work better on poison ivy. http://www.vine-x.com /. It uses a common herbicide, Triclopyr ester, which is worse than round-up in the sense of harmful chemicals -- it lasts longer in the soil and can migrate in run-off. However, vine-x is a spot application, directly on the poison ivy. It's not a spray, it's designed to be "painted" on the ivy. The herbicide is mixed in oil, not water, to more easily penetrate the bark of the plant.
Disclaimer -- I haven't used this stuff myself. I know a person who has, and thinks it is great, and the principle of the product (spot application, oil solvent), makes sense to me.
Terry
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bertie Brink wrote:

I think you should use Roundup. But if you can find a weed steamer (good luck), that'd probably work, too:
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/sarobins/robinsn2.htm http://www.envirosteam.com /
I'm sure boiling water would have the same effect, but what a pain!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:17:36 -0400, Bertie Brink

You want to "kill" without being "harmful"?
tom
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Use the Roundup, It breaksdown to harmless byproducts in just a few days. This was reccomended to me when I inquired at Stowes Botanical Garden about what would be safe to use to get rid of Japanese Honeysuckle.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.