Poision ivy update.

I posted earlier with that hillside of poision ivy. Earlier I had tried round up and at another time special poision ivy killer. Both stunted the growth a bit but then it came back stronger than ever:(

I am HIGHLY ALLERGIC and dare not touch it!

Well a nice poster here suggested mixing broadleaf weed killer and round up together....

It was worth a try I mixed concentrated poision ivy killer and round up in spray bottle.

Actually diluted the poision ivy killer a little with round up rather than water. Sprayed as best I could the big plants.

Next morning they looked stunted a little, while anything close by that had been sprayed by accident was curled up dead.

So I sprayed the poision ivy again for good measure..

I ALMOST feel bad for the poision ivy, its really dying, and appears to be killing the entire plant. No doubt some will survive, thats what the spray is for......

Reply to
hallerb

I don't think I posted to your original post, but I have found a 3.5 oz of Roundup and a 3.5 oz mix of Crossbow to a gallon of water to be the best toxicondron killer.

I ran out of crossbow a couple of weeks ago and sprayed just straight Roundup, the stuff looks a bit sickly, but not enough to matter much. So, as you mentioned, a mix seems to be the ticket.

Reply to
timbirr

so am i. if and when you finally kill it, please get someone else to remove it and don't be in the area. Even if it is burned. BTDT.

lee

Reply to
lee houston

My poorly informed neighbor said:(

Once its dead you can pull it:(

It remains toxic for at least a year, and NEVER BURN, as you can get poision ivy of the lungs, that can kill:(

Once it looks really dead I will hiresomeone brave to pull it. So far a non allergic friend volunteered for some $$$

the combo realkly did the job.... stopped it dead

Reply to
hallerb

Poison ivy is tough to kill with a single application of Round Up, especially if it is established. Mix it in a spray container a little stronger than what the label says and wet all the green leaves. Be careful not to get the spray on plant leaves you want to keep. It is okay to get Round Up on the ground--it won't hurt trees unless you get it on the leaves. Wait 10 days after the first application, and spray the poison ivy again. Repeat every 10 days. After three applications to the same plant it should die. Do not pull the roots or handle the dead leaves. Weed killer products may contaminate soils, Round Up is much safer.

Reply to
Phisherman

To the posters saying they mixed X ounces of roundup, roundup full strength, etc. Roundup comes in a wide variety of concentrations. Unless you specify what the % of what you mixed was, it's meaningless. A better way of expressing it is in terms of what the final solution as applied was.

Reply to
trader4

41 percent Roundup concentrate:

mix 3.5 oz. of the 41 percent with 1 gallon of water and 3.5 oz. of Crossbow

(Crossbow is 2,4-D, butoxyethanol ester 34.4 % and Triclopyr, butoxyethyl ester 16.5 %)

Reply to
timbirr

DON'T MESS WITH ME.

ALMOST is not good enough. But I don't need your phony sympathy. I have more stamina in one leaf than you have in your whole body.

DARN RIGHT I WILL. DON'T MESS WITH ME!

Reply to
PoisonIvy

Does concentrated Round-up weaken and go bad as quickly as the stuff sold for immediate application?

A 4-oz. bottle came included with something else I wanted to buy, but in order to mix it, I want to put on gloves and long pants (do I need that?) and so it's been more than a year and I've never gotten around to doing it.

I"m thinking it might have been cheaper in the long run to buy it already diluted.

Reply to
mm

I buy it in 2.5 gallon bottles, which last me (usually, sometimes not) two years. Never had a problem. The concentrate is much cheaper than the pre-mix, but I buy at Ag Chem stores, not the local supermarket. They do sell in the 41 percent in quart containers, but not sure if it goes any smaller.

The label precautions on all of it, the pre-mix and the concentrate, tell you how you should handle the chemical. Whether you choose to follow said directions is up to you.

I know people who wear Nitrile gauntlets, rain pants, rubber boots, etc when they apply herbicide. I know a couple who wear shorts and sandals. Your decision.

Reply to
timbirr

Gey poision your on your way out, just looked your looking pretty ill, death to poision!!!

my original attempt used pre mixed roundup in the spray bottle, it did little///\\\\\\\\\\\\

poision above got lulled into a false sense of security... tonight he is off dying somewhere

Reply to
hallerb

Might be repeating information already given, but just in case. The 'allergen' on poison ivory, is very 'stable'. Meaning it sticks around after the plant is dead for a long time. So becareful, and protect yourself.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

I wonder if that is one short and one sandal per person. I'll have to find someone to try this with.

Thanks for the whole reply, including parts snipped.

Reply to
mm

. Weed killer products may contaminate soils, Round Up is

broadleaf weed controls work thru the leaves only..

my concotion was a premix spray bottle of roundup, mixed with straight poision ivy klller undiluated except in roundup. i had removed some of the roundup to make space for poision ivy killer, something in a green plastic container.

poision ivy looks really bad...

Reply to
hallerb

A word of caution... If you read the label on herbicides, you will see a warning that it against federal law to apply the herbicide in a mix stronger than the manufacturer recommends. If a neighbor comes down with ANY health problem, he/she could claim it to be your fault since you did not follow directions. And an entire community could claim that you have poisoned the ground water for miles around. Yea, we all occasionally do it anyway, but I would not admit it to the entire world via google that I did it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have been using Roundup for many, many years and here's my experience: Roundup, as it comes in the container you buy, will last 2-3 years before it starts to weaken. However, once you dilute it to specs for spraying, it is only good for 2-3 days.

The original Roundup was a great product, but it had to be mixed with a surfactant (soap) to get it to stick to the leaves. Mixing reduced the use time to 2-3 days. Then Roundup decided to add the surfactant at the factory (Roundup Ultra) (Increased price). But it didn't work nearly as good as the original product because of the mix. So they had to increase the strength to make it last longer (another price increase). I now buy a generic brand because it's cheaper and works better than Roundup.

The ingredient in Roundup is little/no toxic to humans. I even had a salesman tell me you could drink it with no ill effects (but how many people believe salesmen?). The standard used to measure toxicity is table salt. Roundup is less toxic than salt. HOWEVER, always follow the manufacturers directions.

Depends on how much you use and how fast you use it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

This is just what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming. So at least I wasn't an idiot for not mixing the stuff up when I only had a few minutes to go spraying.

I'll look for that next time.

To you and timbirr, I read the instructions and would have read them again, but I just wanted some reassurance. Thank you both.

Yep.

Reply to
mm

Actually table salt is very bad for your landscaping. The only way to rid the soil of table salt is to dilute it. On the other hand, RoundUp breaks down when in contact with the soil--much safer than table salt if you intent to landscape later. I know RoundUp contains a surfactant, but you can increase the intensity of the RoundUp by spraying the poison ivy with a soap solution (1 T of dishwashing liquid in a 1 qt spray bottle of warm water). Allow this to dry, then apply the RoundUp. I would never mix RoundUp (or any other product) with another compound unless specified on the manufacturer's label. I know that RoundUp specifies that it is "waterproof" after 2-3 hours, but you'll get better results when there is no rain in the next 24 hours.

Reply to
Phisherman

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. Toxicity affecting the human body is measured with salt as the standard ("0" on the reference chart). I did not mean to suggest that salt had anything to do with landscaping.

Bob

Reply to
Bob