Point Gap for older B&S engine

I have a 130200 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine made about 1977 on a rototiller and I'm changing the points and condenser. I've searched everywhere and cannot find the spec for the Gap Can somebody help Thanks Bob

Reply to
BoborAnn

20 to 25 mm works with most small engines I have used
Reply to
red

In the absence of other information, use a matchbook cover as a feeler gauge and I bet it'll work just fine!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

whoa.. that's gonna take some seriiously high voltage to bridge that gap. .025 inches is proabably more like it.

Reply to
Jim R.

I think you may find that .020 is about right.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

oops. that what I meant. forgot the decimal.:0

Reply to
red

I don't think a one inch point gap will work. :-) Usually .020 gap will do, if I remember from 35 years ago. 294628 used to be the part # for the points on a Briggs. Another forgotten part number would get you the little phenolic plunger that pushes the points. There is a line around the plunger that indicates when it is worn down and needs replacing. While turning the engine, if the line disappears into the block's bearing boss, then replace the plunger rod, as it affects the engines timing events. Also, the first two digits in the engine number represent cubic inches displacement. End of

70's flashback....

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Voltage doesn't "bridge" the gap. The OPENING of the points collapses the coil's field, causing it to fire the plug. The gap in this case determines ignition timing, and also point dwell, which determines coil saturation, which affects coil output.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Better change that mm to inches too! Greg

Reply to
Greg O
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Dirt and I are exactly the same age.

My "Small Engines Service Manual" says that the 130000 series has a 2

9/16" bore and a 2 7/16" stroke for a displacement of 12.57 cubic inches. It goes on to say that "...the breaker contact gap is 0.020 on all models. Condenser capacity on all models is 0.18-0.24 mfd"

John

Reply to
John‰]

You're right - I was thiniking plug gap.

Reply to
Jim R.

Been .020 inches for everything I've ever done on B and S.

Plug gap is 025 or 030, can't remember.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have that engine on a rototiller bought in '78. The book says the point gap is 0.020" If you need any more info, email me.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon