Pocket Ref

I was thinking of getting my dad a book called the Pocket Ref, does anyone know anything about this book? I'm thinking that it may be a little too "advanced" for him. Is it something anyone can use (do you have to be really smart/a mathmatical genius to use it)? My dad knows a lot about all sorts of stuff like welding, electricity, carpentry, plumbing and auto repair. He hasn't had any formal training but I'm sure he knows more than those who've had it. He's also the kind of guy that you'd see on the show Monster Garage. However, he isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the box and he sometimes refers to himself as the villge idiot.
Does it sound like this book would be ok for him or would it be too advanced?

I got my copy from Lee Valley www.leevalley.com a few years ago. I use it often and it sits right near my computer. There is a lot of basic information that any of us can use. Formulas, time zones, conversion factors, weights and properties of materials, the list goes on. Don't sell dad short. He can use it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Don't have a lot of faith in your own Dad, huh? sheeeeeesh
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

People that are self-taught, have a lot of knowledge in a lot of areas, and still have the self-deprecating humor (and humility) to call themselves something like the village idiot, are almost invariably a boatload smarter than you. Wait some years, you'll see what I mean.
Old joke: Kid goes off to college thinking is father is the stupidest man in the world. Four years later he returns and is amazed at how much his father has learned in that time.

It sounds like he could get some tips from it, it would be useful, and he could probably point out some things that he'd do a different way. The Pocket Ref books are about $13 and cover various subjects.

You guys be fair to the OP. He had a lot of nice things to say about how smart his dad was.

It's not "too advanced" at all. In fact it is fascinating just reading though it to see what it has to offer.
Dennis
On 21 Dec 2005 23:28:28 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

How can a book of facts be too advanced? It may have a lot of things he will never need but if he finds the exact thing he needs a few times the book paid for itself. BTW I keep the black "Pocket Ref" and the blue "PC Ref" next to my desk all the time. Both are great books with tons of useful facts. This is a gift he will actually be able to use. Like the othjer poster says, just flipping through it looking at "gee whiz" info is fun.