Pocket Hose Question

Page 2 of 2
On 05/29/2015 08:36 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

No, in my opinion, magic tv hoses look like a good idea but are low quality barely useful junk.

Take it back and exchange it for a real hose.
> I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have to be topped off next week. > I realize it does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??
Every waterbed owner should assemble a waterbed emergency kit. The kit should have the following:
- real 5/8" or 3/4" hose that will reach from the waterbed to a hot/cold water source. - short hose to go from the bed inlet to the pump. - water pump to evacuate the bed in a leak emergency. - all the necessary fittings to connect it all together. Make sure you have all the faucet adapters to make required connections. - a spare mattress heater with control. - a couple water shut-off valves for the hose (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Store all this stuff in a plastic tub with a lid. Next time you spring a leak at 2am, you'll thank me.
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 8:28:20 AM UTC-5, Red wrote:

ONLY for the bed. Hoses that are used for gardening and car washing are not recommended unless they are flushed for several minutes before connecting to the waterbed valve.
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated!
On 5/30/2015 11:51 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

The one time I tried to help move a water bed, the people had run a hose out the window to drain it. I suspect that straight down and out the front steps would have worked better. When we tried to move it, far too heavy.
I guess it takes much too much time to get the last bit of water. U-Haul rents water bed pumps, oddly enough.

I have a pocket hose, only because it was given to me. I used it once, and was not highly impressed. I have plenty of real hoses, but I will use the pocket hose again, as long as it lasts. It seems cheap and I dont think it will last long. It also restricts the flow, so you wont get as much water capacity per minute, but it is better than the self coiling hose I bought some years ago, that got stuck on everything, and over the years, it got very brittle, and one day it just broke in half.

I agree about the emergency kit, but still dont understand why anyone would desire to own a waterbed????? Besides all the trouble of filling and maintaining them, they can do structural damage, wreck flooring when they leak, and cause other problems. Add to that, they are absolutely uncomfortable. Many years ago, I was "house sitting" for someone, and they told me to sleep on the waterbed. After sloshing around and feeling like I was getting sea-sick, for an hour or two, I went and slept on the couch.
If I was a landlord, I would NOT allow waterbeds!
On Sat, 30 May 2015 13:12:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote in

We used one for many years and liked them. The only reason we had to give it up was my wife started having back problems and needed more support.
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 1:13:02 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

*real* hose, 25 footer.

the last 2 days with no pain in my left shoulder that I somehow managed to injure. :-(

where the waterbed is sitting.

now you can buy a softsided water that looks exactly like a regular bed. They use regular sheets and other bedding as well. NO sloshing and no seasickness. Extremely comfortable and that's after sleeping on it for only two days and no pressure points.

On Sat, 30 May 2015 12:28:25 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

You raise a good point here about softsided water. Water beds are a problem if you have well water, especially if it's very hard. It leads to sore backs, shoulders, you name it.
IF you have that, you should get a water softener, and then they are very comfortable.
Try fill your pillows with soft water too.

On 5/30/2015 2:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Bought a Land and Sky's Impression 8500 99% waveless. http://www.thewaterbeddoctor.com/las/impression_8500.aspx?CategoryID `3
No pressure points so I wake up in the same position as when I fall asleep.
I would not have any other bed.
And FWIW, I've had waterbeds for 35 years and never had a leak

The few times I woke up in the same position as when I fell asleep, I was paralyzed and had to will myself to twitch myself back to the living. Very frightening.
On 05/29/2015 07:36 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

My best hose is a rubber one from Sears, but it's heavy and hard to move around.
I also have a Pocket Hose. It works well enough as long as you don't expect it to handle full water pressure. There are too many flaws in the connectors and these burst. If your water pressure is over 40 PSI or so, you need a pressure reducer.
My use is with a hose-end sprayer to put fungicide on some spots in the yard (usually needed mid-July until it gets cold).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/