Pocket Hose Question

Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

No, but you can put a shutoff valve on. Be forewarned, many of those expanding hoses leak and explode very early in their life cycles.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

She may have to pull the bed closer to the hose.

Reply to
taxed and spent

I guess that was your lame attempt to be funny.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Dunno, but I have an adapter that screws on where the kitchen faucet aerator goes and garden hoses screw onto it.

It was the only one for sale wherever I bought it and I've never noticed another of these for sale, but I haven't looked either. Sureyl they sell it some place.

Just one piece, maybe 3/4" long.

Reply to
micky

On 29 May 2015, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in alt.home.repair:

I thought it was quite robust.

Reply to
Nil

I thought it was funny you were wondering how long this type of 25 foot hose was.

Reply to
taxed and spent

ChairMan

I know what the length is. What I was wondering if I could stretch it to f it the intake on the bed before turning on the water. Sorry you can't compr ehend my question; seems like the folks on Amazon caught on immediately. T he hose is going back to Home Depot.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

On Fri, 29 May 2015 17:36:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in

Put one of these shut off valves on the end of the hose and turn on the water, then shut the valve. That should fill the hose up. Then bring the end to the bed.

CRNG

It makes eminent sense and is so obvious the original question is absurd.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Knowing a little bit about plastics and strengths of materials, it would appear that these hoses have low safety factors. Junk to me. I would not buy one.

Reply to
Frank

No, in my opinion, magic tv hoses look like a good idea but are low quality barely useful junk.

Take it back and exchange it for a real hose.

Every waterbed owner should assemble a waterbed emergency kit. The kit should have the following:

- real 5/8" or 3/4" hose that will reach from the waterbed to a hot/cold water source.

- short hose to go from the bed inlet to the pump.

- water pump to evacuate the bed in a leak emergency.

- all the necessary fittings to connect it all together. Make sure you have all the faucet adapters to make required connections.

- a spare mattress heater with control.

- a couple water shut-off valves for the hose

Store all this stuff in a plastic tub with a lid. Next time you spring a leak at 2am, you'll thank me.

Reply to
Red

No, my question was not absurd, I had no idea there was such a device as a 'metal hose shut off.' I'm not a plumber nor a jack of all trades that's why I came here with my question. Sorry if it bothers you that someone would ask a question when you deem they should already have this advice tucked away.

Get over yourself, nobody died and left you emperor of this group.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Trust me, I am!

Yes, I am going to buy a regular 25' hose to be used ONLY for the bed. Hoses that are used for gardening and car washing are not recommended unless they are flushed for several minutes before connecting to the waterbed valve.

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated!

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I bought one, and then later read the reviews. I'm almost afraid to use the expanding hose. So far, regular hose has worked when needed.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

----------

"I hope my question makes sense."

Reply to
taxed and spent

The one time I tried to help move a water bed, the people had run a hose out the window to drain it. I suspect that straight down and out the front steps would have worked better. When we tried to move it, far too heavy.

I guess it takes much too much time to get the last bit of water. U-Haul rents water bed pumps, oddly enough.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My best hose is a rubber one from Sears, but it's heavy and hard to move around.

I also have a Pocket Hose. It works well enough as long as you don't expect it to handle full water pressure. There are too many flaws in the connectors and these burst. If your water pressure is over 40 PSI or so, you need a pressure reducer.

My use is with a hose-end sprayer to put fungicide on some spots in the yard (usually needed mid-July until it gets cold).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Sat, 30 May 2015 08:46:45 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in

There are a lot of rude people that hang around USENET. It's one of the few places left were they can display there rudeness. Just ignore them.

Good reply.

Reply to
CRNG