Po Man's water saving toilet

Just take the tank cover off and add some heavy nuts one or two to the rod/chain that connects the handle with the flap valve. Now, the water flushes only during the handle being held down time. Hold a short while for #1 and much longer for #2. Saves a lot of water and it cost almost nothing. "If I can not dance, I want no part in your revolution." Emma Goldman
Wrap a brick in aluminum foil and put it in the tank. Decreases the amount of water used for a flush.
What is the purpose of the aluminum foil?
Boden
TOM KAN PA wrote:

You can save the cost of the brick and the foil by simply adjusting the float.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:57:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

Doesn't work as well. The brick allows for a taller column of water.
BB

Yeah, a whole 1/4 inch or so taller. What a difference!
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:51:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

If you are only planning to adjust the arm down a quarter of an inch, you aren't going to save much water. Meanwhile, anyone with a lick of common sense will realize they can use more than one brick and find out how many they can add before the flushing is no longer effective. It will most definitly work better than adjusting the arm.
BB
The weight of bricks is alot more than water. I know someone who went out of town for a weekend, Tank cracked, on second floor , house was a mess.
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:55:26 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (mark Ransley) wrote:

Nonsense. You sit on the toilet with your fat ass and it doesn't crack, does it? That's a lot more weight than a few bricks, not to mention the corrosive fumes...
BB
Nonsence eh, the load is on the side of the tank, not centered. Tank , that is we are talking about. Not thick toilet bowls . The only reason the ins co figure a friends Tank broke was the bricks. Ins repairs were over 12 g. All walls and ceilings were canvas. Oak floors resanded.
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:06:27 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (mark Ransley) wrote:

Yes, nonsense. As you sit down on the toilet, The load is much larger, and it doesn't settle gently or evenly. Getting up, your weight shifts back and forth as well. The bricks cause far less stress.
The tank is just as thick as the bowl. (Bowls are hollow, since you don't know.) Neither is as thick as you, though. Bricks are clay, not lead. They don't weigh THAT much more than water. If your friend's tank broke, it was not from the weight of a few bricks. It might be that he banged the tank with a brick causing a crack that later spread. More likely that he leaned back and cracked the tank because it was not supported properly from behind.

That does not mean they are correct.
BB
(mark

you dont sit on the tank.

Please try and follow along.
BB
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

If it is an older toilet (I missed the original on this), the HEIGHT of the water in the tank has some effect on the flushing action. Therefore, to keep the height (and initial presure) up and still save some water, consider doing this: take a plastic gallon jug, put something heavier than water in it like stones or old metal pipe pieces, finish filling it with water to the very top, and close the cap. Then put it in the tank on the opposite side of the water intake. You will save just under a gallon on each flush, and if it is like the several toilets I've done this to, the gallon jug will fit real nicely in the tank without bothering anything. And we still get good flushing action. --Phil
Po man goan need him a plummer if'n he doan git dat waste down the lahn wit a big buckitt dah watter.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus