Pneumatic nailer, etc.

I'm going to be framing in a wall and doorway soon and could probably do it the old fashioned nail and hammer way like I've done before. But I have thought about getting a compressor tank and nail gun to do the job instead. I am doing it in an area with finished rooms and was wondering if the repeated hammering would disturb the plaster ceilings/walls, and thought that maybe the pneumatic way would cause less vibration? Also, I have never used a pneumatic nailer before so I thought it would be fun to have one!

Also, are there combination nailers that can do both framing and trim/molding work?

Thanks

Reply to
FDR

To answer your questions, a nail gun will provide far less vibration than a hammer. You may still get some damage, but it should be minimal unless the existing walls and ceilings are really fragile.

No, you need different guns for framing and trim/molding.

If you know nothing about guns, you need to talk to a counterman about clipped heads, angle of the gun, sizes, etc.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

A few tips if you have never used a nail gun before:

- First, they are handy to use, but do not consider them as toys. They can be deadly tools!

- They will save you time but get the right gun and nails for the job.

- You do not need a big compressor or tank to run a pneumatic nailer. The smaller pancake compressors will handle the task, although once you use a nailer and compressor, you will find many other uses for the compressor as well so it might be worth getting a decent one.

- You will need different nailer for framing and trim work.

For framing, go for a framing nailer. Something like this >

trim work, go for a smaller gauge nailer like a finish nailer or even a brad nailer and glue (depends on size of trim). Something like these >

or
Hope that helps.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

6 Reviews:

- Ryobi One+ Cordless Tool System

- Festool CT Mini Dust Extractor

- Kreg K3 Pocket Hole Joinery System